Author Topic: *COMPLETED* Missing marriage and missing 1891 census return.  (Read 2803 times)

Offline perilsofpauline1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
*COMPLETED* Missing marriage and missing 1891 census return.
« on: Sunday 02 June 13 22:22 BST (UK) »
I have just returned from the UK after finding a missing first cousin! It was a wonderful first meeting but she knows very little about her mothers side of the family, so I have been doing some searching. I have her grandmothers name, Eliza Ellen Millington,b1895 Rotherham, and the g. grandparents names, Joseph Millington and Francis/Frances (Unknown)b.1859 and 1861 respectively, again in Rotherham.
 There is a 1901 census with them boarding with a Pickering family, and with four daughters, then a 1911 census in Rotherham where the number of years married is not stated. Sadly it shows of the 8 children born to them, only two are living, Eliza Ellen and a Louisa.
I can't find the vital 1891 census which would possibly give me more of the childrens names, and enable me to also find their deaths.
I'd be grateful for any help with this family,
Thank you
Calthorpe ,Colyer, Davy, , Grant, Guest, Hannington, Harding, Hartley, Hughes, Macro ,Marchant,  McKindoe , Moffet ,Morgans Musgrave, , Mort, Nicholson, Patterson, Porter,Smith, Roddis, Schofield, Scholefield, Smith.

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing marriage and missing 1891 census return.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 June 13 22:58 BST (UK) »
This is probably 1891, but not v helpful re the children - think it will have to be a birth and death comparison

Joseph Mittington    30
Frances Mittington    27
Charlotte Mittington    2

RG12, piece 3845, folio 10, page 10

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 June 13 23:01 BST (UK) »
Possible marriage?

Q4 1883   Rotherham    9c   984   
LIVERSIDGE    William        
MILLINGTON    Joseph  <<<
Ostin    Fanny   <<<
YATES  Susannah   

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 June 13 02:46 BST (UK) »
I would tend to agree on the Rotherham Marriage Dec 1883 9C984 etc ...... to Fanny Ostin.  Given I brought up all Rotherham entries for the Millington name on the freebmduk, it seems apparent to me that Joseph most probably stayed in the district....  In resolving more research I would check the Brett Langston "regindex" pdf on genuki and see what Rotherham reg district encompasses and then place name and surname search familysearch.org.   I am fairly certain that you will get a comparative list to that of the freebmduk
I might also add that the infant mortalitiy of this surname in Rotherham is very high.....
So a bit of leg work between the 3 sites and then some census should achieve this, but also a probate or obituary may enlighten other children if any......

good luck in databasing that....shouldn't take too long.

fusion
 :)

Offline perilsofpauline1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 June 13 06:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you Mabel and Fusion for that help - I never thought of looking for a Fanny!
I'll do that research you suggested Fusion - and I agree the mortality rate for that name in Rotherham is extremely high going by the free BMD. Poor Charlotte was 16 when she died - the only one I have found with any certainty.
Ever onwards!
Thanks again,
Pauline
Calthorpe ,Colyer, Davy, , Grant, Guest, Hannington, Harding, Hartley, Hughes, Macro ,Marchant,  McKindoe , Moffet ,Morgans Musgrave, , Mort, Nicholson, Patterson, Porter,Smith, Roddis, Schofield, Scholefield, Smith.

Offline Steve G66

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: *COMPLETED* Missing marriage and missing 1891 census return.
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 20:05 GMT (UK) »
I have just been doing my family tree and have found Eliza Millington married my Great granduncle Francis Cadman, they had a son together who I believe was named after is Uncle who died in WW1, sadly little Bernard died around 8 months of age. My great grandmother Annie Matilda Cadman was married to William Groocock. I'm Stephen Groocock still living in Rotherham. I would really like anymore information anyone might have on any branches of my family. Thank you....Steve

* Moderator comment: personal e-mail address removed in accordance with RootsChat general practice.  Please use the personal message system to e change e-mail addresses.  New members may need to make 2 or 3 posts before being able to access this system.  Thanks

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: *COMPLETED* Missing marriage and missing 1891 census return.
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 21:33 GMT (UK) »
SteveG66>   
1.  dont put your personal email addie on rootschat please.

2. answer 2 more posts and you will activate personal messaging then you can send the OP your details to share your research.....