Author Topic: Christening Records for all children of James Barrow & Sarah Ann (nee Hicks)  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Hi,
I am hoping that someone might be willing and able to lookup Christening records for all children of James Barrow & Sarah Ann Hicks, who married circa 1816 in Thurnham, Kent.  I have managed to find a few records at Family Search, but only for a few of the children. However information gleaned from various sources on the internet indicates that there were at least 9 children born between the years 1816 and 1837.  From this information, it appears that most of the children were christened in Maidstone, Kent, although Thurnham is also listed for one or two.  Any assistance would be most appreciated.  Many thanks.
Sinnamon (and variants); Black; McBreen; Brady. - Northern Ireland & New Zealand
Liggins, Liggons, Liggens (and variants) - Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire & New Zealand
Padman (family very much involved in early Wesleyan Church) - England, Australia and New Zealand
Oxley - England, Australia and New Zealand

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Christening Records for all children of James Barrow & Sarah Ann (nee Hicks)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 June 13 06:01 BST (UK) »
On familysearch.org there are baptisms for James 1816 Maidstone, Jesse 1823 Bearsted, Sarah Ann 1825 Bearsted, Stephen 1828 Maidstone, Amy 1830 Maidstone, George 1833 Maidstone and Emily 1837 Thurnham.
The only three I can't see are Charles 1818, Thomas 1820 and Keziah 1837.

I am assuming this is the family who moved to NZ :)

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Christening Records for all children of James Barrow & Sarah Ann (nee Hicks)
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 01:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you crisane - yes, that is the right family and they did emigrate to New Zealand.  One of the reasons that I was trying to find christening information for the children that aren't on Family Search was the child Keziah, as I suspect that he or she did not actually exist, and that the name came from the original Passenger List of the Aurora, which left England in 1839 and arrived in 1840, and is a mis-transcription of Emily from the Passenger List, going by the supposed date of Keziah's birth.  There's a decent amount of unsourced information on the internet about the family, but before I add it all to my tree, I want to check it and source it if possible, especially when some of the information clashes!  Once again, thank you.
Sinnamon (and variants); Black; McBreen; Brady. - Northern Ireland & New Zealand
Liggins, Liggons, Liggens (and variants) - Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire & New Zealand
Padman (family very much involved in early Wesleyan Church) - England, Australia and New Zealand

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 02:34 BST (UK) »
Hi
Like you I can find nothing on Keziah other than in the online tree and he is the only one that doesn't have a death record (from memory!)  so as you say best to leave him out of it.
The trees are a good place to start but, as you are doing, all info needs to be checked.  The owners may have the sources and just haven't put them on line.
Good luck with it. :)

Online Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 June 13 10:43 BST (UK) »
There has been a BARROW tree in book form published by someone in Waitara, covering all branches.

No child named Keziah, which is usually a girl's name, just the other nine.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 June 13 10:49 BST (UK) »
Information I have is
Charles born 14 Sep 1818, Thurnham, baptised 22 Oct 1818, Maidstone
Thomas born 5 Aug 1820, Thurnham, baptised 17 Sep 1820, Bearsted

If you have access to Findmypast you can get most if not all of these from the Canterbury Collection.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 June 13 14:31 BST (UK) »
Information I have is
Charles born 14 Sep 1818, Thurnham, baptised 22 Oct 1818, Maidstone
Thomas born 5 Aug 1820, Thurnham, baptised 17 Sep 1820, Bearsted

If you have access to Findmypast you can get most if not all of these from the Canterbury Collection.

Ian C

Thanks for that tip Ian - will subscribe there when finances allow and access those records.  :)

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 June 13 07:34 BST (UK) »
There has been a BARROW tree in book form published by someone in Waitara, covering all branches.

Ian C

Just noticed this post - my apologies!  Do you happen to know the name of the Book or the person in Waitara that published it?  Would be very interested in obtaining a copy!  Many thanks  :)

Offline PdT Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 May 20 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Tikva,

I've just come across your post and was wondering if you found out any more about the  BARROW tree in book form published by someone in Waitara?
James Barrow is my fourth great grand father and I'm very interested in finding out more abour the family.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Mark C
Chappell in NewZealand and UK