Author Topic: Tammy married her daughter off - ELLINgTON Family  (Read 57246 times)

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tammy married her daughter off - ELLINgTON Family
« Reply #99 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Westoe

I think you told me that when Capt Paterson was suspended, you were able to find the reason , could you tell me how please as would like to Know about our Henry Ellington ( who was suspended for three months, after the loss of the Mc Donnell.

Also searching more on the story of what happened to 'Andrew White' re Angas, as she had sailed from Quebec, would there be anything in Quebec newspapers , - Since the vessel that picked them up appears to be on it's way there, one assumes that Angas and crew were repatriated from there somehow ?  What thinks you ?

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)
Macaire. Eusebe. Boitel. Beaulieu. Gordon. Tillman. Fear. Wood.
 ( London/ Middlesex & Devon )

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Wednesday 09 October 13 09:52 BST (UK) »
Also searching more on the story of what happened to 'Andrew White' re Angas, as she had sailed from Quebec, would there be anything in Quebec newspapers , - Since the vessel that picked them up appears to be on it's way there, one assumes that Angas and crew were repatriated from there somehow ?

Hello John,

The best bet of the online historical Quebec newspapers would have been the "Morning Chronicle and Commercial and Shipping Gazette", but their collection doesn't start until 4 November 1850.
However there is the predecessor - just plain "The Morning Chronicle" and it covers 1849.

Caveat: it's not indexed and searchable like the British newspapers so you will have to download and skim each issue.

Here is the link:
http://collections.banq.qc.ca/ark:/52327/1840545

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Wednesday 09 October 13 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Westoe
 Interesting, I didn't know that they had a difference on the Master's Ticket between Sail and Steam,
being slightly before my time, but suppose it might have been, can't see why thought, would think that some of the larger ships of sail more difficult to handle than steam. Never mind I am sure he was a very good Shop owner.
On the link you gave for Quebec, they have a questions for An ARCHIVIST section, so since it might be of interest to them also, I send a copy about the rescue by Captain Bell and will see what happens, if nothing then will search page by page, as not a lot left to do in Garden !!!!!

Thanks for the info on 'Ord' Silas would have been on it, when it went aground at the' Hole in the wall' (Our  affectionate name for Seaham Harbour), it does say driven ashore, so assume very bad weather. Silas's tonnage for Ord differs a bit but think it must be the one. On same page appears the 'Orient' another of his ships ???

Keep collecting searchables for my next trip - I am owing you some again !

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Thursday 10 October 13 01:21 BST (UK) »
62661 Eunice NT 482  Gr 661            do.      (C)  Aug 1st 1878  - 1881 F.P.S x 2 then Baltic

Ship ‘Eunice’ is marked as abandoned on the 6/12/1882 Was he still in Command ?

Hello John,

If this is she, no he wasn't.

DISASTERS AT SEA .
The Newcastle Courant etc (Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England), Friday, December 15, 1882; Issue 10850.

"LOSS OF A SUNDERLAND STEAMER
A Lloyd's telegram from Antwerp, dated on Tuesday, states that the Eunice, British steamer, was abandoned in lat. 55 north, long. 7 east. All the crew saved and landed at Antwerp. The Eunice, s, Captain Burden, cleared from Ystadt, Nov. 30 for Ireland. She was a steamer of 661 tons gross, built in Sunderland in 1872, and owned by Messrs Stamp and Co, of Sunderland."

The report of her BoT enquiry is in:
 Local and District News .
The Newcastle Courant etc (Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England), Friday, January 12, 1883; Issue 10854.
It's a bit long for me to copy out and you don't really need it as the master's surname is confirmed as 'Burdon'.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Thursday 10 October 13 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Westoe

Good morning, afternoon, evening or middle of the night - when you read this.

Well that is a blessing, one suspention is enough ( He is one of mine, when all is said and done!!) Since the Captain's register gave Eunice as his last ship the next info I have is on the 1891 Census, where he is a Coal Hawker ? ( I assume it doesn't mean he was 'First-Footing' ) - Anybody Please tell me does this pleasant tradition still continue today? and what do you use instead of coal ?

Ref: Paterson, and your mail of 15/9 - If he could sell the 'William Balls' in 12 days, I reckon he  would have been a hell of a shop Owner.

Could you please have another look at 'Orient' ref Angas for me please on pages 549/550 and
Very,Very sorry, but am having some disagreements with my computer and can't find the info you gave me on 'Hazelrigg' , which I now need to finish Silas's write-up.

Best

John

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Thursday 10 October 13 14:32 BST (UK) »
( I assume it doesn't mean he was 'First-Footing' ) - Anybody Please tell me does this pleasant tradition still continue today? and what do you use instead of coal ?

Hello John,

Yes, it continues - will do until all us old folks are gone, but it has to be 'staged' as it were, and of course we use coal. But you dasn't burn those last few precious lumps - they have to be carefully packed away with the Christmas tree ornaments to be used again next year. Literally "sweeping out the old year" as the clock chimes midnight also continues tho' some of us now need a couple of daytime naps Dec. 31 in order to still be awake at midnight.

I often wonder - does sea coal (residue of long ago wrecks) still wash up on the coastal beaches?

Have sent your other stuff by email.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Thursday 10 October 13 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Westoe

Well am really happy to here that news, good. and you will just have to keep going, for the sake of tradition.
Awaiting your mail from Hush-puppy !! in the meantime came across the following, which means Old Angas had trouble on the way out as well !

Lloyds List May 1849-Sligo, May 9. The Andrew White, Angas, from Sunderland to Quebec, put in here yesterday leaky and disabled, and with one man washed overboard, having, been struck by a heavy sea whilst lying to during. a gale .

Best

John

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Sunday 27 October 13 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Uhm well, John Tillman's will, ( The one who died in Sulina,Danube 1868 ) didn't exist - he died 'Intestate' , and there was me hoping that he had willed something to Thomasin -so confirming the link ( which showed when she was witness at his wedding along with her Uncle Thomas Warren) - Back to square one again - okay, so try to follow the Warren family - We know for certain that Tammy had a brother called Thomas, and we know they were in Lympstone (Devon), when Tammy was married to Peter Tillman. When Peter died and Tammy married Thomas Goodsir, it appears that Thomas (Tammy's brother) moved North with them, so first I think to try any Warrens that might be in Sunderland, as I found that a certain 'Thomas Warren' and his family in 1852 left Sunderland on the ship 'James Caron' for Australia, to finally settle in Melbourne Maybe - could be the son of our Thomas. In the meantime, will go back to my George Tillman on Devon Forum and see if I can pick up more info on the Warrens there. Best John

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Monday 28 October 13 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Not sure (and not going to read 11 pages to find out!) whether this is useful here now, but I have posted what appear to be Thomasin Warren's 1782 baptism and her parents' 1781 marriage in Lympstone, Devon, on the Devon board:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=666111
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?