Author Topic: south mall,cork  (Read 6239 times)

Offline decemb3r

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: south mall,cork
« Reply #18 on: Friday 13 September 13 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi again, As I was fostered/then adopted from Grants nursing home a counsellor suggested that there must have been money around. As far as I can remember (I visited there often as a small child in the 1950 ) it was not an unmarried mothers home  it eventually nursed older people only .It was run by the Grants.my memory mother & daughter .I can remember seeing the older lady laid out..... they really knew how to mind children back then   ah well!! Why I mentioned the church was you may get information on a long baptismal cert as I did   do You know the other weird thing why I decided to follow the topic is not alone was I born there but my name on my birth cert is Mary Buckley though later in the 40s.  Wow   .... regards.

Offline paulbduffy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 14 September 13 01:11 BST (UK) »
Yes that is strange ,"my "Mary Buckley was born there in 1934 and her mothers name was also a Mary Buckley and I'm trying to find out about her .I suspect she was unmarried as no fathers name is on the birth cert .,will follow up the church suggestion .Thanks

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 14 September 13 22:35 BST (UK) »
www.irishgenealogy.ie has the baptism records online for south parish church in cork city :)
Apologies this site will not have baptism record as I just read its 1934 :)

Offline DABK

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 03 December 15 16:51 GMT (UK) »
I have just read these messages. I am very interested to know if you found out anything about 81 South Mall. My mother was born there in June 1937 and I am trying to trace her family ?

Offline paulbduffy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 06 December 15 17:43 GMT (UK) »
In relation to your question I am sorry to say that I have no futher information about South Mall in Cork.I hit a brick wall in my research and dont know how to procede...Any help would be appreciated

Offline 81southmall

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 18 January 21 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Try south east adoption ,Stephen's hospital  Glanmire ,Cork. They have some records of Grant's mother and baby home 81 south mall cork.My mum was born there also in 1937.

Offline Muffin_99

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 10 May 21 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, my mother is registered as having been born at 81 South Mall Cork City in 1930's. She is trying to trace her birth Mother. Does anyone know if there was possibly a hospital or maybe an orphanage at this address at this time. Any information would be greatly apreciated.many thanks.

Offline Leeside

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 24 May 21 22:43 BST (UK) »
My grand aunt was Mary Buckley. She may have had a baby in the 1930's, possibly in 81 South Mall.
The only way to be sure is that some day one of her descendants will upload DNA which will match with mine as a close relative.

I don't see any way that the mystery can be solved but it is intriguing that the name Mary Buckley has been mentioned previously in this thread.