Author Topic: Lawson Family - Brown & Polsons  (Read 1351 times)

Offline Ozcaine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lawson Family - Brown & Polsons
« on: Tuesday 04 June 13 11:07 BST (UK) »
Seeking info on the Lawson family of Paisley, many of whom worked for Brown & Polsons. My g.mother Elizabeth Hart Lawson (b 1875) was a clerk there & was given a clock when she left to get married in 1906. Her brothers Peter (b 1866) and Robert (b 1868) also worked there (& possibly brother John) - My branch of the family emigrated to Australia c 1924, & some time later was sent a newspaper cutting where Peter & Robert received certificates for 50 years service - unfortunately no name & date for newspaper.
I'd like to find out more about the family who stayed in Paisley. Peter Lawson married Mary McMillan c 1885 & had son Robert (b1889) and daughter Mary (b1891) (dau Mary married William Tait, who left her - she had a son George who was killed in WW2, & he had a son Lawson. I have a travel diary of a family member who visited Mary Tait & her grandson Lawson in 1950 - she was living at 12 Bute St, Glen Burn, Paisley.
Peter's first wife Mary must have died before 1902, as he was a widower when he married Jemima Jenkins in August 1902. I have a photo with Peter & Jemima with Robert & Mary, plus 2 sons & 2 daughters from the second marriage. I have not been able to find birth certificates for them - & I'm not really sure of names, though I'm told they are Alec (Alex?) Bertie, Dinah & Elizabeth the girls are the youngest, and one of the boys is in uniform, but don't know when the photo is taken - youngest would be about 5yrs.
Robert Lawson married Annie Knox Nov 1888 & had children Elizabeth H (1890), Robert (1892), Hugh Knox (1897), John Lawson (1900) .
Any info much appreciated - would love to find some new relatives!

Offline gidach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lawson Family - Brown & Polsons
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 15:59 BST (UK) »
My name is Gordon Lawson and I do believe we could be related. my father was Peter Lawson born 1911 to Peter and Jemima Lawson. He also had a brother called John and a stepbrother called Robert. There were also possibly 3 stepsisters. There was also a sister called Elizabeth born 1908 who died in 1919. The family worked in Brown and Polson stayed in Falside Road Paisley. I would be pleased to hear from you and as I have been looking into the family tree may be able to help fill in some gaps.

Offline Ozcaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 June 13 01:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Gordon - Yes I believe we are related!!. I've spent a few credits in the last few days getting what certificates I could. Will send you a personal message as soon as I've sorted them out! I'm fairly new to rootschat, is it ok to give email address in personal message, or give postal address?
Janice

Offline Ozcaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 June 13 05:35 BST (UK) »
I've downloaded yet another birth cert & found that John Lawson, son of Peter & Jemima Lawson was born 23 July 1905. I've also found that Peter Lawson's (b1866) brother John was born 1881. He was a grocer & married Margaret McKenzie 28 June 1907, they had a son Alexander, b 26 Jan 1911. I haven't yet found other children - possibly Elizabeth Hart Lawson b.1918, but can't download (no image) to check parents & too pricey to order on spec.
Also found a possible George Tait, b. 1918, but same story re price! He could be the son of Peter's daughter Mary, b 13 May 1891 - she would be one of your father's stepsisters that you mentioned. The family photo I have shows Peter Snr . an older son (I presume Robert), Mary, the older daughter, two other sons, possibly John & your father Peter & 2 younger daughters - both daughters seem to be younger than the boys. Peter's wife is also in the picture, but  if they are your father's stepsisters, perhaps Jemima died & Peter Snr married for a 3rd time. will try to attach the photo
What do you think?

Offline gidach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 June 13 06:48 BST (UK) »
Janice, That is a different photo from mine. I will forward to you more info later today. Peter Lawson snr only married twice. He died in 1936 shortly after Jemima. My father Peter stayed with Robert at 101 Falside Road Paisley. This is where I spent my first seven years from 1950 until 1957. My email address is gordon.p.lawson@btinternet.com. You can use that address to contact me. It is great to know I have found relations in Australia as I have been doing a lot of searching knowing that my fathers stepsister Jean went out there and stayed at Canley Heights in Sydney.

Offline Ozcaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 June 13 07:06 BST (UK) »
wow. First - do the people in the photo look familiar to you? Second - Jean must be Jean Panton, married to John Bernard Panton, but known as Ian- They came to visit Melbourne & I have photos.
Have never been able to find out how they were related, though I knew it must be on her side, as she is listed as Jean Lawson Panton in the electoral rolls for Canley Vale (Sydney). What part of the world do you live in? Janice