Author Topic: Parish records in / near Kimbolton Castle  (Read 5932 times)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Parish records in / near Kimbolton Castle
« on: Tuesday 04 June 13 20:08 BST (UK) »
This is the first piece of my research involving Huntingdonshire. I am looking for a relative born in or close to 1825. Family tradition has it that she was illegitimate. Can someone familiar with the area let me know which parish registers I ought to consult to see if I can find her birth record? Again, so far reliable family legend (in Australia) believes her father to have been a Montagu of Kimbolton, and her mother to have been a member of the castle staff. Her name at marriage was given as Susan Elizabeth Allen - though it is possible she also had the name Muriel. If someone can suggest possible parishes, if possible indicating whether transcripts are available, I would be most grateful. Ian in Cornwall

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parish records in / near Kimbolton Castle
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 21:29 BST (UK) »
I would start with Kimbolton, whose PR has not been transcribed. The BTs have been filmed by the LDS so are available to order and view at your nearest LDS Family History Centre

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 12:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion, David, much appreciated - I'll put the BT on my to-do list. Do any of the reference libraries in the Kimbolton area have local studies sections / resources? IAN

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 12:45 BST (UK) »
Not a clue. I live in France!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 12:48 BST (UK) »
Eh bien, vous avez de la chance! Thanks for your reply, and good luck with your own research

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 13:48 BST (UK) »
I was at Huntingdon Records Office on Saturday, and some of my enquiries were based on Kimbolton. I also live about 15 miles from Kimbolton, and know the area well.

The first problem you have with Kimbolton is that the registers have been very badly damaged by water. The archivists are working on digitising them, but even highly experienced palaeographers have great difficulty working with them. At present they have a part-finished draft transcript available, but it is patchy in its coverage because some of the entries are just impossible to read now.

The second problem you have is that Kimbolton is right by the county boundary with both Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire. And some of the neighbouring villages have been handed to and fro between the different counties like a hot potato.

The third problem you have is that none of these counties' parish records are yet fully available in digital format, so you are not going to be able to do your searches online.

HOWEVER, the parishes near Kimbolton are:

Huntingdonshire

Tilbrook
Catworth
Stow Longa
Easton
Grafham
Perry
Great Staughton

Northamptonshire

Newton Bromswold
Higham Ferrers
Rushden
Chelveston
Stanwick
Raunds
Hargrave

Bedfordshire

Eaton Socon
Little Staughton
Pertenhall
Swineshead
Dean
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 14:29 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your detailed reply, which for the moment I'll keep on file. The illegitimate girl I mentioned in my initial posting could have been born anywhere. Australian records give her birthplace as Cheltenham, but an exhaustive search of all likely parish records near Cheltenham have drawn a blank. If the family legend is true, then her mother would have been employed in one of the Montagu residences: the family had a town house in London where, I would imagine the successive dukes spent much of their time - as well as their Huntingdonshire seat. I think Susan Elizabeth Allen was sent to live in Cheltenham soon after her birth, the Duke having settled her mother comfortably in a town which was, in those days, full of transients and respectable lodging houses. Just guessing at this stage. One of these days I'm sure I shall visit the Kimbolton area, and make use of the information you have kindly given to me. Best wishes

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 14:50 BST (UK) »
When/where/who did she Marry?

Ah see it was James Page.
Do you have the M/C?
No extra info on her Death Cert?

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Trish -
You are right - this continues to be a long and difficult search. Susan Elizabeth Allen did, as you say, marry James Page in Adelaide, having followed him out to South Australia one year after James arrived. She travelled as 'Mrs Page' and it is clear that the marriage had been agreed before James embarked from England. I don't possess the actual certificates, but Australian relatives have sent me the information contained in both: in SA at the time the bride's father's name was not included in the marriage registration. It was from her death certificate that we learned that she was born 1825, Cheltenham (though we are tending to question the place of birth). According to family tradition, James and Susan were a loving and devoted couple during their long marriage. Best wishes IAN