Author Topic: William Lamonby b1714 M Sarah Ismay  (Read 3539 times)

Offline James Corps

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Lamonby b1714 M Sarah Ismay
« on: Wednesday 05 June 13 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hello fellow Rootschatters

Do any of you have any data relating to William Lamonby b c1714 who married Sarah Ismay in 1746 in Wigton Cumberland  Spellings of Lamonby might be different  Anything relating to his siblings or parents would be appreciated by myself and another researching this family  Hopefully someone will know something Thanks in anticipation

Jim Corps
Corps Durham,N Yorks, Berkshire, Norfolk and Humerside/Lincolnshire
Corpse
Elliott  West Yorkshire (Wombwell, Hemsworth)
Bee.... Everton
Higgs..Yorkshire and Staffordshire
Sneddon/Snaddon Bo'ness
Gibson Isle of Mull Scotland
Cuthbertson/Cudberson N Yorks

Offline jubed

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William Lamonby b1714 M Sarah Ismay
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 June 13 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim William Lamonby b 1714 was my 6 x great grandfather. He married Sarah Ismay(1718-1776) in Wigton on the 19th May 1746.his children were William b 1750 and Sarah 1751-1827 Sarah Ismay's father was John Ismay b 1699.Unfortunately, I havn't got any further back with William but if you have access to ancestry I have a tree with details of his descendants
Best wishes Julie
Sussex-Bedwell.Perthshire, Stirlingshire-Comrie.East Yorkshire-Berry,Bostock.Cumberland,Durham-Smith,Douglas.

Offline jubed

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 June 13 18:30 BST (UK) »
To continue(don't know if you already have all this) William Lamonby b 1750 married Catherine Appleby b 1753 in Wigton. Their son William b1780 d 1848 married Mary Harkness 1780-1862. Their son George 1802-1858 married Margaret Smith on the 28th November 1825 in Durham George was a tanner in 1841 and lived at Canonby cross.Their daughter Jane b 24th September 1828-1892 married Richard Smith and they were my gg grandparents.Jane's siblings were Mary b1830 William b 1832 John b 1838 Elizabeth b1841 and Robert b 1848. :D
Sussex-Bedwell.Perthshire, Stirlingshire-Comrie.East Yorkshire-Berry,Bostock.Cumberland,Durham-Smith,Douglas.

Offline James Corps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 June 13 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie     Thanks for that     I had seen Sarah's data on familysearch.org and wondered if that was a connection   Curiously for all the info on Lamonbys there seems to be little on William Lamonby b 1714
Can only think the data exists but probably with mis spelt names  Will have o look on Ancestry for your tree and thanks very much    Jim Corps :D
Corpse
Bee.... Everton
Sneddon/Snaddon Bo'ness

Offline jubed

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 June 13 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim are we related (even if VERY distantly)Jane and Richard's son Isaac b 1857 married Ellinor Douglas 1854-1943  in 1877 in Whitehaven Their daughter Isabella 1882-1949 was my grandma

Offline James Corps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 June 13 01:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie     The Lamonby in my family tree is Alvinza Lamonby b 1885 in Choppington. Morpeth Northumberland  She married my Great Uncle Simeon   Alvinza was known as Aunt Lindsey to my father  Her grandaughter was born Alvinza May but was always known as Alma  Alvinza's father was William Lamonby b 1850 He was married twice and had two families One son was George Lamonby who became a gamekeeper in Bedfordshire  William's father was Joseph Lamonby wife Ann Finlayson  Joseph was from Wigton cumberland  I have since found out that the name Alvinza crops up in two other branches of the lamonby family and believe it was after Alvinzer Hayward The 'Silver King@  who made a fortune from silver mining in California   It is my belief that our two lines are distantly related to each other  I need to check Joseph Lamonby's parentage   Jim Corps
Corpse
Bee.... Everton
Sneddon/Snaddon Bo'ness

Offline James Corps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 June 13 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie    We have Lamonbys in common but if I was to try and work out the relationship I don't think there would be a NAME FOR IT HA HA     Because my father William James Corps 1915-2000 was an only child that left me a little short of cousins but now I an doing family search I find out I have plenty of fourth, sixth and even eigth cousins Then there are cousins once and twice removed depending on how many generations were in a family line   Never got tro meet Alvinza Lamonby she died when I was six but I have it from her granddaughter's mouth that she considered her son John 'Jack' Corps had married beneath him because horror of horrors He had married a divoced woman 
Corpse
Bee.... Everton
Sneddon/Snaddon Bo'ness

Offline Deborah Boss

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 June 13 22:20 BST (UK) »
A couple of references that might be of interest from Carlisle marriage licences:

14 Aug 1752
William Lamonby of Wigton, innkeeper is the bondsman for the marriage of:
James Frizell of Seberham blk (blacksmith?), single-man
Jane Falder of Dalston single-woman
marriage to take place at Dalston or Stanwicks

12 Jun 1750
Thomas Ismay yeoman of Waverton parish Wigton
Arabella Dover, single - woman of Langrig parish Brumfield
bondsman: John Dover yeoman of ditto
marriage to take place at Wigton

regards
Deborah

Offline James Corps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 02:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Deborah        With those names there has to be a connection   For some reason there is a lot of William Lamonbys born around that time in that area  My thinking is that associates of them are eventually lead me to William's siblings and parents   Your sources ie marriage bonds seems a good route for knowledge   Are these readily available?  I've only seen the odd one  I appreciate your input
regards Jim Corps
Corpse
Bee.... Everton
Sneddon/Snaddon Bo'ness