Author Topic: I can do simple parish record look-ups at West Sussex RO  (Read 9087 times)

Offline mandyj51

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: I can do simple parish record look-ups at West Sussex RO
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 15 June 13 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,

thank you for the offer  :)

I have managed to extract a glimpse of info. online -

1827 April.26 William WHITEING, wife Ann and children William 3y, Hannah 2yr and James 11 m; confirmed. Reigate, Sry

I have no idea what it relates to though. Maybe a removal order/application for relief?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thankyou in advance

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 15 June 13 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Mandy

Reigate is in Surrey not West Sussex, so unless you know a place in Sussex where this family definitely lived, I'm afraid I won't be able to look-up any parish baptisms, marriages or burials for them. Perhaps you could try posting your snippet on the Surrey Board, someone there may be able to help. If you do post in Surrey it would be a good idea to post anything else you know about them as well (and here if you have any Sussex sightings of them).

Jan;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline mandyj51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 June 13 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan, I was a bit confused too as the info is in the Sussex record book yet they lived in Surrey. They definitely lived in Slaugham at some point; the father was born there. They married there too. The children (& later ones) seem to have been born in Reigate yet they all children (inc. the ones named in the record) were baptised in Staplefield (as Non Conformists). It seems they lived in Reigate but kept popping back to the Slaugham area to be baptised. I wondered if the record is suggesting they return to Slaugham?

I do already have all the info. re births, marriages etc. It was just this record that I couldn't make out. I did post this in with the Sussex posts, but somebody suggested I contact you.

Many thanks,
Amanda

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 15 June 13 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan, I was a bit confused too as the info is in the Sussex record book yet they lived in Surrey. They definitely lived in Slaugham at some point; the father was born there. They married there too. The children (& later ones) seem to have been born in Reigate yet they all children (inc. the ones named in the record) were baptised in Staplefield (as Non Conformists). It seems they lived in Reigate but kept popping back to the Slaugham area to be baptised. I wondered if the record is suggesting they return to Slaugham?

I do already have all the info. re births, marriages etc. It was just this record that I couldn't make out. I did post this in with the Sussex posts, but somebody suggested I contact you.

Many thanks,
Amanda

I can help with this one... The family were subject to a Quarter Sessions Removal Order from SLAUGHAM being sent back to Reigate.
I'm guessing that because the family had spent more time in Surrey and the children were born there that that was judged to be their 'home' parish.

Suey
ps I have the Mid Sussex Poor Law Records Book 1601-1835
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline mandyj51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 15 June 13 17:27 BST (UK) »
Thankyou  :) :) :)

Do you happen to know why families would be removed anyway?

Thank you again

Kind regards, Mandy

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 15 June 13 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Mandy

That's good that Suey has been able to clear it up for you. Families could be removed to their home parish if they fell on hard times or were likely to do so and would thus be needing parish relief see

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/poorlaws/oldpoorlaw.shtml#Settlement

Jan
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline mandyj51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 16 June 13 14:50 BST (UK) »

It's really helped. Thank you Suey (sorry I called you Jan!) and thank you Jan! Much appreciated :)

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 03 July 13 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Poppyann

I tried to check the Hurstpierpoint registers but they were pretty illegible which with the fact that I am not very good with early writing and there weren't any transcripts available for that time frame meant I found nothing - sorry. I did at least manage to exclude the Henry Gander baptised in Walberton 4 Dec 1585 son of Richard, as there is a burial on 30th June 1590 of 'Henry Gander sonne of Richard'.

Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 03 July 13 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Jann

The only extra information on the transcript Lurgashall baptism for Charlotte is occupation Labourer - I did mean to check the fiche as well in case there was extra there but forgot, will look another time.

No burial for Elijah born c1815 in Lurgashall.

I noted down this  in case she is one of yours
Mary Quenell buried Lurgashall 23 May 1773

Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale