Author Topic: Bridgnorth wedding  (Read 2207 times)

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bridgnorth wedding
« on: Friday 07 June 13 16:07 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the wedding of Hannah Bebb (christened 02-09-1759, Oldbury, Salop) and William Gregory which I believe to have been in Bridgnorth. Two of Hannah's three illegitimate children were christened in March 1787 at St. Leonard's Bridgnorth when she was still unmarried. I believe that she was married by the time she had son Benjamin Gregory in December 1798. Consequently the marriage should be between 1787 and 1798. To my knowledge there were no further children of William and Hannah.
Any help gratefully accepted.
Tofgem

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgnorth wedding
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 June 13 14:06 BST (UK) »
I've found it ;D
Pallot's marriage index lists it at St. Leonard's, Bridgnorth in 1798. If anyone could fill in the actual date for me I would be eternally grateful.
It is possible that William could have been married before. There is a marriage for William Gregory and Mary Bourne on 10th September 1784 at St. Mary Magdalene, Bridgnorth. I cannot find a death for Mary Gregory, but if anyone else can :-* :-* :-*

Offline Mr Gwynne Chadwick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 June 13 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I believe I’ve found the Church records you needed;

All at St. Leonard’s Church, Bridgnorth.

Christening on 10 March 1787 of Lucy and Anne (twins) daughters of Hannah BEBB. Base born.

Burial on 27 March 1797 of Mary, wife of William GREGORY.

Marriage on 31 Jan 1798 by Banns, of William GREGORY to Hannah BEBB. Both of the Parish. Both made their mark. Witnesses were John HILL, signed and Mary BEBB, her mark.

Christening on 30 Dec 1798 of Benjamin, son of William and Hannah GREGORY.

Gwynne
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 June 13 18:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much. :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
You are a star. I don't know how to thank you.
I really appreciate your help.
Tofgem

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 June 13 14:22 BST (UK) »
I've discounted the marriage of William Gregory to Mary Bourn at St. Mary Magdalene, but the burial of Mary Gregory 1797 still sounds promising. I now need a another marriage for William Gregory to another Mary, perhaps at St. Leonard's. He was christened in 1745 so there is plenty of scope. Does anyone have any further suggestions, please?
Tofgem

Offline Mr Gwynne Chadwick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 June 13 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

you said
I've discounted the marriage of William Gregory to Mary Bourn at St. Mary Magdalene

Why? Explain please.

Gwynne
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 June 13 13:28 BST (UK) »
Using Family Search as my source there are 5 children christened with parents William and Mary Gregory between 1776 and 1788 at St. Leonard's Church.
There are 8/9 children christened with parents William and Mary Gregory between 1786 and 1803 at Mary Magdalene.
The marriage of William Gregory and Mary Bourne at St. Mary Magdalene was in 1784 which fits with the children christened at St. M.M. and the last child christened at St. M.M. is given a birth date of 1802 which is after the death of Mary Gregory in 1797 and the marriage of William and Hannah in 1798.
Tofgem

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 August 13 12:14 BST (UK) »
Update:
I'm still looking for the wedding of William Gregory to Mary, who was buried on 27-03-1797.
There were two William and Mary Gregorys in Bridgnorth at the same time.

1. William Gregory baptised St. Mary Magdalene, s/o Thomas Gregory and Mary on 18-02-1762. He was buried on 01-03-1837, age 76 at St. Mary Magdalene (NBI). He married Mary Bourn 10-09-1784 at St. Mary Magdalene.  Mary Bourne was baptised 15-06-1761 at St. Mary Magdalene, d/o Francis Bourn and Ann. She was buried on 13-04-1836 at St. Mary Magdalene, age 74.

2. William Gregory baptised 31-03-1745 St. Mary Magdalene s/o John Gregory and Elizabeth Edwards. He was the father of 5 children baptised at St. Leonards between 1776 and 1788 with mother Mary (who died in 1797). I cannot find the wedding of this William and Mary, nor the burial of this William (before December 1836 as wife Mary was a widow when she wrote her will, living in the parish of St. Leonards).

If anyone has any further suggestions I would be extremely grateful. I know that I have had a lot of help already, but if there are any extra ideas they will be very much appreciated.
Tofgem