Author Topic: Arundel  (Read 893 times)

Offline Hussar

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Arundel
« on: Saturday 08 June 13 07:25 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am looking for the name of a fish & chip shop that used to be up the hill in Arundel. This was about 1978/1979 ish. It was in one of the side roads as you go up the hill on the left. Any info gratefully received
Barrett - West Berkshire
Dyer - West Surrey
Palmer - Berkshire & London
Styles - Surrey

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
Re: Arundel
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 June 13 10:51 BST (UK) »

Hussar - Not a great help but may jog someone elses memory...

I've been chatting to a family member who lived in Arundel.  She tells me that the Fish and Chip Shop was on Arun Street.  Coming up Tarrant Street from the town, almost at the end you have Kings Arms Hill on your right and Arun Street on your right running down to what is now a public garden and on to River Road.

She thinks the Chip Shop was next to the Baptist or Methodist Church or church rooms?, she remembers a big brown door.  The Chip Shop was basically someones front Room converted to a shop, later they extended and had an 'eating in' area.

Also says it was only ever known as The Fish and Chip Shop, and doesn't remember any kind of name attached to it.  She also says "One of the owners, whether the original owner or not, had been a ships cook and did the most wonderful batter"  :D

They are building a new museum in Mill Road, due to open this summer, right next to the car park opposite the Castle visitor entrance.  Maybe later when they've opened they might have more information.

Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
Re: Arundel
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hussar,

Yes the chip shop was in Arun Street (about half way down)  off Tarrant Street.  I lived in the house on corner of Tarrant Street/ Arun Street and new it well. The Baptist Church was turned into flats yonks ago.  Our house was joined to Baptist church and was originally a Quaker Meeting house in 1600's , we even had a grave in the garden!! This garden was behind the fish and chip shop.
In mid sixties it was run by a Molly Wales and her partner Tom Apps who was indeed and excellent maker of batter!!  They retired and a Polish guy called Stefan and his wife Pat ran it, think it close in 70's and went back to being a private house.
My family come from Arundel and so do I.  Anything else you want to know just ask.  Its a topic very close to my heart!!
Regards
Jane
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820