Author Topic: Death of French Banker  (Read 1584 times)

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death of French Banker
« on: Saturday 08 June 13 10:55 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me when Marc Francois Buffy who was a Prominent French Banker died please.
I believe it made the French papers and guessing could have been in the "thirties" , possibly late.
Perhaps directing me to Newspaper report.
Many thanks, Syljun

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death of French Banker
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 June 13 00:48 BST (UK) »
No luck on http://gallica.bnf.fr/ or the databases at http://www.geneaservice.com/ (thought he might be in electoral roll database).

Do you know any more about him/his relatives?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 June 13 07:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am only going on info. given me without confirmation but believe wife was Marie. Daughter Alice and two sons Edmond and Edward. Alice became Nurse in Switzerland and achieved many honours but as I say only going on hearsay. Hoping in a roundabout way to search for sons particularly Edmond who disappeared with family just before Germany invaded France.
Hope to get more to go on. Thank you for your interest and anything you may come up with which may be of help with time frame. Perhaps Swiss board may throw light on Alice. Believe family home to be near lake Geneva but understand Marc Francoise Buffy was Banker in France.
Syljun

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 June 13 12:25 BST (UK) »
The main problem is that there isn't a national index of bmds in France - some are online, some not, depending on department/city archives, when they are online they're usually not indexed in a way that makes them easily searchable.

In addition, a 1930s death record would not be found on any online search - you'd have to know when and where and apply to the locality where the death took place directly.

If any of the family were born in France, there may be "marginal notes" which record later marriages and deaths - not always, though.

If they were Swiss nationals that would explain them not being on the French electoral rolls. I do see an Edmond Buffy b. Switzerland on the 1911 census  - I presume this is part of this family.

http://www.hls-dhs-dss.ch/famn/?lg=e shows a family of Buffy with citizenship of Monnaz (also some other spellings like Buffi/Buffe/Buffet etc are around).   This location is a short distance away from the shores of Lake Geneva.

Some info on Swiss records (Don't know too much about the Swiss side of things, I'm afraid) http://www.aubertcombier.ch/gen/sources00.html

Do you know when/where Alice was born?
If

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 June 13 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hi jorose, Thank you for that info. Sounds as if that was family. Maybe more info. will come to light in time. You have at least given me something to go on as location seems to be spot on.
Cannot say where Alice born, only going on hearsay. No real worry on that line.
Thanks again, Syljun

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 16:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, Was it easy during occupation of France to get married, and also was it easy to get a divorce, provided grounds of course.
Were there certain restrictions and conditions. I have a divorce and remarriage in 1943.
This was in Lot-et-Garonne. Aquitaine.
Perhaps a small town where residents tried to keep as normal as possible day to day living.
Thank you for any help.
Syljun

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 16:09 BST (UK) »
I believe Vichy France tightened up divorce laws, but getting married shouldn't have been a problem (possibly more of an issue if one spouse was foreign). I'm afraid I don't know the exact details.

Is this the marriage?
http://gw.geneanet.org/yaya421?lang=fr;p=jean+edmond;n=buffy

I would contact the owner of the tree directly as you will have difficulty getting records out of the Mairie given the year.

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 June 13 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi jorose, The info.was given to me as I do not subscribe to Ancestry so unable to make contact but did wonder if Marie Sainrouere was divorced November 26th 1943 how did she marry Jean Edmond Buffy August 21 1943.
Was it permissible before decree nisi. Wonder if there was any children of this marriage.
Really trying to find out what happened to Jean Edmond's parents. Surprised to find him in France during the war. They may well have been in Switzerland as cannot find any info. on them as was supposed in America unless change of name.
Thank you for your suggestion and interest.
Syljun

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 June 13 19:13 BST (UK) »
The link I gave earlier is to geneanet - you can get a free account and contact the owner of the tree that way.  I've never paid a penny to have an account there.  If the owner of the tree does have a copy of the marriage certificate that may give you info on his parents - I have French marriages which go as far as  giving date and place of death of parents.  They even sometimes list children born before the marriage (when said children were recognised by the father and thus legitimised by the marriage).

Not sure about the divorce.

Nérac was at one point the home of the French admiralty (up to about 1940), perhaps there was a military connection there?