Author Topic: Patrick MacKle Ballymaguigan (Castledawson, Londonderry)  (Read 8508 times)

Offline DonnaMarie1982

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick MacKle Ballymaguigan (Castledawson, Londonderry)
« on: Sunday 09 June 13 00:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Trying to trace information on a Patrick MacKle who appears in the 1901 census.

In this Census he is boarding with another MacKle family. Approx DOB 1867.

He had three Illegitimate children with Catherine Lee who also lives in Ballymaguigan though they never marry or appear together in the Census documents.

Any help would be great.

Many thanks

Donna.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick MacKle Ballymaguigan (Castledawson, Londonderry)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 June 13 06:26 BST (UK) »
There are several family trees on the Ancestry website for Patrick and Ellen (and a nice photo), with whom your Patrick is boarding in 1901.

With the usual caveat about the reliability of such information, it might help you work out the connection.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 June 13 09:16 BST (UK) »
For reference here's the link to the 1901 census entry for Patrick Mackle age 34-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Castledawson/Ballymaguigan/1541716

Less than a week ago you said "I am speculating that Rachel and Mary are the illegitimate children of a MACKLE. (Perhaps the Patrick Mackle who is boarding with another Mackle family nearby as he seems the only likely candidate based on age)."

Is there any particular reason that you think he's the correct Patrick Mackle? there's also a 48 year old one nearby in 1901-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Castledawson/Creagh/1541956

Comparing the 1901 and 1911 census dates for Pat* Mackle none of the ages seem to be 10 years apart so you'll need to be cautious.

Previous topic-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,649361.msg4958566.html#msg4958566
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline DonnaMarie1982

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 June 13 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey,

I now have the Baptisim Certificates I was looking for previously and can confirm that their father is Patrick Mackle.

Knowing this I went through all the Patrick MacKle's in the area and there was only one of the same age of Catherine Lee which is the Patrick MacKle boarding with a family nearby and working with a fisher.

This is why I have chosen to look at this MacKle to see if I can find out more about him.

Thanks Donna :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 June 13 11:15 BST (UK) »
Good that you are on the right track with Patrick Mackel but since there are several Patrick Mackles in the area it would be wise to consider them all as potental candidates, excluding any too young to father the children of course, even any that are married.
I suppose the baptism records don't include father's occupation?

Offline DonnaMarie1982

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 June 13 14:08 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately not, just the name.

They actually took the children over to Tyrone to be Baptised rather than Locally at Magherafelt.

Mary Ann Collins is a witness both at Catherine Lee's Birth record in Magherafelt, Baptism in Balinderry Tyrone an later at her marriage in 1921 to Thomas Clements but I've not yet been able to tie her in.

There is also a Mary Jane who is witness to the Baptism of Patrick, soon of Patrick MacKle so I am looking into these names now to see if there is a line anywhere.

Donna

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 June 13 14:25 BST (UK) »
Ballinderry Parish is partly in Co.Derry and partly in Co. Tyrone so it may be that the children weren't baptised that far from home.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballinderry

Details of R.C. church records for Ballinderry Parish here-
http://www.from-ireland.net/county/article/R.-C.-Parish-Records%2C-Co.-Tyrone/Tyrone#display

Offline Pat38

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
James MacKle Ballymaguigan (Castledawson, Londonderry)
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 February 15 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Donna
Do you have a JAMES MACKLE and MARGARET BELL in your tree? James Mackle married Margaret Bell before 1863. They had a son John born October 1863 (as per Philadelphia USA Census 1900 and Death Certificate 1915). I have been trying to find a Baptism for John in Magherafelt and also his sister Catherine whose birth was between 1860 and 1881 (Birth dates vary on each Census. She went to Philadelphia in 1900 and married Daniel Rennie (Renney, Reney) in 1904 and he died in 1910. Catherine died in 1951.
I found that James and Margaret Bell Mackle had a daughter Lucinda in 1865 and both Lucinda and her mother Margaret died in 1865. James Mackle then married Mary McEldoon in 1869 and had Mary Anne on 3 August 1870, Daniel on 5 April 1881 and another Lucinda in 1877.
I found that when Catherine emigrated she was going to her brother John of Tucker Street, Philadelphia. Her brother John was married to Annie Bateson whose father was Bernard Bateson of Ballymaguigan.
When John and Catherine emigrated to Philadelphia they were known by the surname MICHAEL.

Daniel emigrated to Philadelphia in 1910 and he also was going to his brother John.

Do you have any knowledge of these families?

Regards

Pat Berry

Higgins, Griffin, Duffy, Comer, Donnelly, Hearne, Henry, Woodside, Hague, Greaves, Davison, Mooney, Rockley, McKenna, Byrne, Berry & Barnacle.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 February 15 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   29 Sept 1853 James MACKELL married Margaret Bell in Magherafelt Roman Catholic Church.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim