Author Topic: Latin help if possible please - Completed - Thank You  (Read 420 times)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Latin help if possible please - Completed - Thank You
« on: Monday 10 June 13 08:23 BST (UK) »
One, or both, of these documents relate to an inquiry into the sanity of Mr Turnor - dated 1731.

I've tried to transcribe them into Latin text to use a "translator" but not knowing what the words could be - I've ended up in a muddle  :-[

Any assistance with a brief overview/partial translation or rough idea of the content in English would be very much appreciated.

Thank you kindly

Di

Scanned as multiple docs and rejoined - have bigger/better versions if required.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Latin help if possible please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 June 13 08:25 BST (UK) »
Second document

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 June 13 12:34 BST (UK) »
As far as I can tell, both documents relate to the case of Antony Turner of Hormead in Hertfordshire. The first is a 'writ of inquisition', to determine if he was a 'lunatic'. The second is the return of that inquisition, which established that he was. (Please note that 'lunatic' was a term with legal significance -- see http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/mental-health.htm)

Much of it looks like common form. If you need more detail I'm afraid it will be a while before I can get back to it, so someone else may like to help?  :)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 June 13 13:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Bookbox.

I wondered why there were two documents - sad to hear that he was declared a lunatic  :'(

Would he have lost all his estates to the crown or would they have been controlled by his brother?
(Edit: just saw your additional comment re TNA lunatic - very informative info on that link - thanks)

Thank you - I really appreciate your help :-*

Di