Author Topic: Andrew Nicol (born about 1790)  (Read 7826 times)

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Nicol (born about 1790)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 June 13 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Annette
Thanks for the offer but I'm happy.    I originally had Andrew Nicol (1790) recorded as the son of one of my relatives (along with about 10 other children).   The information provided by you ladies has confirmed that Andrew is not related and therefore of no further interest to me.   However, I have recently been contacted by someone who has looked at my tree on Ancestry and who is in fact related to Andrew.  Your information can now put him on the correct line. (to Melrose).
I have given this person a link to this post so that he can get his tree in order! (He may even join in if he has further queries.)
Thanks again,Bill.

Brown , Turnbull  Adamson, Renwick,  Edgar,  Smibbert,  Scott, Irving, Trotter, Brunton (Borders/Selkirk); Burnside, Skirving, Graham (East Lothian),
Emery & Treasure (Somerset). Goode, King, Flack (Cambridge)

Offline lilymo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 June 13 13:47 BST (UK) »
Andrew Nicol: Schoolmaster in Carnwath 1841:   
Name   Age
Andw Nicol   45
Janet Bunyan   45
Isabella Nicol   20
Janet Nicol   15
Mary Nicol   15
Margt W Nicol   14
Elisabeth Nicol   9
Jane Nicol   6
Alexr Laurie   25
Catharine Wood   30
Robert Mine   12
Catharina Mine   3
William Mine   9 Mo
Agnes Ramsay   65

Andrew Nicol :Schoolmaster, Carnwath 1851
No wife on census   
Name   Age
Andrew Nicol   55 b Meline (  it this Melrose?) Roxburgh
Isabella Nicol   30 dau
Eliza Nicol   19 dau
Jane Nicol   16 dau

EDIT:
He fits the profile of Andrew Nicol b 28 Dec 1795 Melrose
Parents:  John Nicol and Isabella Murray

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results#count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Aandrew~%20%2Bsurname%3Anicol~%20%2Bbirth_place%3Aroxburgh~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1790-1798~&collection_id=1771030

Offline lilymo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 June 13 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi All - So happy to have stumbled upon this thread. I am a descendant of Andrew's through Janet Nicol and know her story once she arrived in Australia and have heirlooms that trace back to her life in Scotland.

Offline Nojiri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 February 23 01:24 GMT (UK) »
  Have just completed researching the history of Scots Church Portland Vic which includes the tumultuous 1840s of Rev Alexander Laurie and wife Janet nee Nicol. Note lilymo has some relics. would love to make contact. My maternal ancestors arrived Portland 1841. I also stumbled upon this chain of posts as I have a 1610-11 Geneva Bible with metrical psalms and music bound together. which I believe came to Portland mid 19thC.  Nicholson BDM inscriptions 1785-1825. Only one Scottish place name - Leven.  Widened research to include Nicol-Nicolson-Nicholson variations and up popped this very long shot link. 

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 February 23 09:53 GMT (UK) »
  Have just completed researching the history of Scots Church Portland Vic which includes the tumultuous 1840s of Rev Alexander Laurie and wife Janet nee Nicol. Note lilymo has some relics. would love to make contact. My maternal ancestors arrived Portland 1841. I also stumbled upon this chain of posts as I have a 1610-11 Geneva Bible with metrical psalms and music bound together. which I believe came to Portland mid 19thC.  Nicholson BDM inscriptions 1785-1825. Only one Scottish place name - Leven.  Widened research to include Nicol-Nicolson-Nicholson variations and up popped this very long shot link.
I'd be very interested to see the Nic(h)ol/son details from that bible. Could you photograph or scan them and send them to me please?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lilymo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 February 23 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello there!

Sorry for the delay but it has taken a while for me to log back in as I had lost my password.

Is it possible to upload documents to this site so that you may see them?

Are you or the descendants of the 841 arrivals still in the Portland area?

Regards.

Offline Nojiri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 February 23 01:54 GMT (UK) »
Now retired in Ballarat I visit Portland a few times each year.  Still many history and heritage friends in SW Vic.  My mother, who was strong on Portland's heritage, descends from the youngest son of Glaswegian Robert and Isabella Herbertson who arrived 1841. He was a builder publican and retailer. Many of his buildings are still in Portland e.g Steam Packet Inn, top half of Julia St and Briery. Dad's family was all 75% Argyllshire shepherd stock, 25% Glasgow.  After Laurie's death in 1854 Jane obviously blossomed and became an active member of Bridgewater and Portland life.  Do you live in SW Vic or belong to any Portland FB groups?   

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 February 23 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Andrew Nicol :Schoolmaster, Carnwath 1851
No wife on census   
Name   Age
Andrew Nicol   55 b Meline (  it this Melrose?) Roxburgh
FreeCEN has his birthplace as Melrose.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 24 February 23 11:10 GMT (UK) »

Is it possible to upload documents to this site so that you may see them?

Yes it is!
When you click on “reply”, under the white text box where you type, is
“Attachments and other options”

Select that and then click “Choose File”.
Ensure that you have a unique file name. Add your initials or a numerical date.
Select the file name, then click "Open".

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo