Author Topic: Identifying initials on German item  (Read 829 times)

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Identifying initials on German item
« on: Monday 10 June 13 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me with this one.  I have recently unearthed from a drawer at home what I now believe to be a set of WW2 folding coathangers in a leather pouch.    They have a number of initials on the metal, some of which I have identified as the German trade mark which was in existence between 1871 and 1945.     I am having no luck identifying the rest, though.    These are the initials EBL which is set in a shape resembling an upsidedown keyhole.   Can anyone help?
Toomebridge, County Antrim: Devlin
Toomebridge and Cavan:  McCormick
Glasgow, Wolverhampton, Shropshire:   Hill
Lurgan Co. Armagh:  Malone, Dumigan, McCourt, McGill
St. Pancras, and Poplar, London: Serjeant, Heald
Brookborough Co. Fermanagh:  Carmichael, Tierney
Staffordshire:  Cook
Isle of Wight:   Parkman
Warwickshire:  Kinchin
Cork: Kennedy, Ahern, Deliere

A British Islander, born Dublin of Irish/Anglo roots. Ancestors have crossed and recrossed the Irish sea in every generation.

Offline Bonza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Solving mysteries, that's the life!
    • View Profile
Re: Identifying initials on German item
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 June 13 03:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Winterbloom21

Are you able to attach an image of the initials and the item. This might help with an assessment.

Cheers, Bonza
Gill (Northants & Oxfordshire), Cockfield (Scotland), Sherriff (Leicestershire, Northants, Oxon & Bucks), Lindsay (Cumberland), Lacey (Somerset), Bisson (Guernsey, CI), Claringbold (Kent & London), Boyd (Dublin, Ire), Crouch (Sussex), Leviston (Dublin), Trand (Clare, Ire), Lewin (London & Surrey). 1824-1825 Hume & Hovell Expedition to Port Phillip - party members Hamilton Hume, William Hilton Hovell, Thomas Boyd, Henry Angel, James Fitzpatrick, Claude Barrois, Benjamin Smith & Samuel Bullard.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 June 13 16:06 BST (UK) »
If you Google mages for folding coat hanger in pouch  are a few examples.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 June 13 09:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Carol and Bonza, for your replies.    I have googled this 'til I'm blue in the face, Carol, but have not been able to come up with an answer.       Unfortunately, I can't attach a photograph of the logo, Bonza, but if you visualise a child's, stylised idea of a keyhole, like a little tubby person in a long gown with just a head, but no legs or arms.      Then, turn it upside down, so that the circular section is at the bottom and the triangular section at the top.    Then show the letters E and B side by side within that triangle and the letter L below them, that's it.     I'm thinking it may just be some sort of manufacturer's logo, but I was hoping for something more interesting.

A British Islander, born Dublin of Irish/Anglo roots. Ancestors have crossed and recrossed the Irish sea in every generation.

Offline known_unknowns

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 June 13 11:13 BST (UK) »
Have you seen one of 'The Raider's Of The Lost Ark' films, where the creepy interrogator walks into Jones' tent and takes out something which resembles an instrument of torture or nunchukas, only to unfold them and hang his coat up?

Anything like that? I'm wondering if the "L" in the symbol stands for "Leipzig?

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 June 13 16:41 BST (UK) »
Haha - yes, they do look a bit like that!    As for Leipzig, I shall have a play with that now and see if anything turns up.  Thanks.