Author Topic: How far did Norfolk labourers travel to find work?  (Read 17677 times)

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
Re: How far did Norfolk labourers travel to find work?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 August 13 09:40 BST (UK) »
I have "Ag Lab" ancestors that moved from Hertfordshire to Wales in order to seek work.  Some seem to have travelled long distances.
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline ron_s

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 August 13 17:14 BST (UK) »
Jeremy Paxman's Who Do You Think You Are? programme related how his ancestors took part in a scheme to relocate from Framlingham, just over the border in Suffolk, to Bradford to take up guaranteed offers of work in the mills.

I recently came across a report from the Bury & Norwich Post in 1830 that said: '78 men women and children passed through Bury [St Edmunds] from Diss, Palgrave and Wortham and 59 from Winfarthing and Shelfhanger in two stage wagons on their way to London to take shipping to America.'

These towns and villages were all areas where there were Riots during the 1820s. I understand that there was a scheme by which the parish helped emigration as a response to these riots. Some emigrants ended up in the East Coast cities of the USA, where conditions where little better than at home. Others went to agricultural areas, acquired land, and prospered.

So I think that the answer to your question must be: quite a long way.

My great-grandfather moved from Diss to London in about 1880. His elder brother had moved to Burnley before 1871 and then to Halifax.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 August 13 22:22 BST (UK) »
I've got Norfolk & Suffolk ancestors who moved to Hull, Lancashire (near Lake District) ancestors who moved to Hull and a g.grandfather who apparently moved from Bethnal Green to Hull, Cambridgeshire ones who moved to Lincolnshire, West Yorkshire and Lincolnshire ancestors who moved to Manchester.  Some from Cheshire who moved to Manchester (not that far).  Seems they just all moved around the country.

Offline historian1907

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 08:58 BST (UK) »
hi ron,
what was your greatgrandfather;s surname. got relatives that moved from diss to Halifax and Brighouse.

Offline ron_s

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 09:12 BST (UK) »
hi ron,
what was your greatgrandfather;s surname. got relatives that moved from diss to Halifax and Brighouse.

Their surname was Banham. It was my GG-grandfather's half-brother, Henry William, who moved to Halifax. He was a brushmaker. Oddly, he had a reasonable job in the brush factory in Diss but still decided to move; maybe he lost that job. I gather that was a regular occurrence when boys got to the age at which they would be due to be paid men's rates.

Online radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 09:29 BST (UK) »
My wife's maternal and paternal grandparents originated in Norfolk. Nurse from Weybourne, Grieves(Greaves) from Brancaster and Julnes from Kings Lynn and migrated north to Sunderland and South Shields in the 1870s. Indications are that they were "mariners" or Ag Labs.

Some folk were much more adventurous of course and I have recently been researching a person from West Raynham who married a girl from the Wisbech area and they promptly emigrated to Australia (1855). He was a blacksmith/wheelwright so his trade was an asset to him in making the decision to journey across the world.

radstockjeff
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline historian1907

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 15:34 BST (UK) »
hi ron

How unusual is that, the name im researching is Barkham, and they lived in diss and westwards towards Kings Lynn.

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone
I am tying in another thread about Migration Workers on RC:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=321782.0

bendywendy
HALL     REEPHAM, HACKFORD, GUESTWICK, NFK
HALL     YORK, HOLME ON SPALDING MOOR, E. YKS
HALL     BELBY, Nr HOWDEN, E. YKS
HOUFE   YORK, RICCALL, THIRSK, DURHAM, LANCASHIRE
FEATHERSTONE     KNEDLINGTON, GILBERDYKE, E. YKS
CLAYTON   PATRINGTON, KEYINGHAM, STADDLETHORPE, E. YKS
CAWOOD   RAWCLIFFE, STADDLETHORPE
WALKER     HADDELSEY, EASTRINGTON, SHIPTONTHORPE, E. YKS
BEAN         STILLINGFLEET, ULLESKELF, KIRKBY WHARFE, YKS
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline historian1907

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 21 August 13 09:15 BST (UK) »
Found more examples of family moving from Norfolk to Leeds in the late 1870's. These family members
still did the same job in Norfolk as Leeds so strange why they moved. Bootmakers and weavers in the mills. maybe it was better money up north.