Author Topic: Who and where in Belgium or France?  (Read 1675 times)

Offline CraigM63

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who and where in Belgium or France?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 October 21 18:02 BST (UK) »
According to his medal index card, John Wilkie Stoddard was a Captain in the Prince of Wales Own (West Yorkshire) regiment. If it's the right man, he was born in 1883 in Oldham, Lancashire, and in 1901 was attending St Chads College, Denstone, Staffordshire, and by 1911 was living at Banstead Hall, Banstead, Epsom, Surrey and working as a school master. He seems to have died on 15 December 1933 while working at Flete House Preparatory School in Westgate-on-Sea, Sussex. His place of death is given as Southern Railway Bridge, Linchmere, Sussex, and there are a number of newspaper articles related to the circumstances of his death on the British Newspaper Archive, and by extension Find My Past. John Wilkie Stoddard's officer's service file is available at The National Archives, but it has not been digitized so an in-person visit would be required to view his various postings and movements.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C735842

There is a Harold Gilmour Wylie serving as a 2nd Lieutenant with the 3/4th Battalion of the Royal Scots Fusiliers, born on 16 November 1896, but he also has a pension index card, and what is listed as his medal index card isn't very helpful in terms of the dates shown on it. The individual at the rear of the canoe, however, looks to be considerably older than 21/22, which is the age that he would have been at the time the photograph was taken.

Offline Drosybont

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who and where in Belgium or France?
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 October 21 00:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for helping with my query.  From what I can now see online, John Wilkie Stoddard looks very likely to be one of the two signatures.  In November 1917 the Sheffield Daily Telegraph reported that he was to be an acting Captain whilst employed as an Assistant Instructor of Schools of Instruction and was seconded.  I will certainly look at his service record next time I can get to the National Archives. 

My grandfather would have known of his death:  at the time he was working as a Registrar in an adjacent district to where it occurred.  He would also have been fully aware of the difficulties many experienced following war service through his involvement with the British Legion and the United Services Fund.  I can understand why he kept these photos.

The other signature I am still not so sure about at the moment. 

Drosybont
Hotham, Guilliatt, Brown, Winter, Buck, Webster, Mortimore
Richards, Meredith, Gower, Davies, Todd, Westmacott, Hill
Mid C19 Cardiff and Haverfordwest, the Marychurch family.