Author Topic: Link - Tin Miners to Australia  (Read 6820 times)

Offline Val in Tasmania

• RootsChat Extra
  • TASMANIA,MY HOME STATE FOR 12 YEARS
    • View Profile
Link - Tin Miners to Australia
« on: Saturday 10 July 04 11:30 BST (UK) »
Good evening from a winters night in Tasmania ;D There were thousands of Cornish people who came to Australia and a lot ended up here in Waratah,Tasmania.If anyone is looking for a relative who may have come to Waratah. www.waratahtasmania.com

MODERATOR COMMENT:
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks!
CUTTS,FLEMING,ELTON

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: Link - Tin Miners to Australia
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 July 05 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Val,
What a great site.   I looked for relatives, but my lot ended up as copper miners in Kapunda before the tin boom in Waratah.
Tasmania certainly looks a great part of the world.
Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Lyne finding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Link - Tin Miners to Australia
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 July 05 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi all
There were alot of Cornish miners (and Welsh too) and Scots that went to Burra ,in the mid north of South Australia. They mined copper ,malachite and I think tin.
There are still alot of names of the streets etc there that are connected to Cornwall or Wales.
Cheers
Lyne
Lyne family,Devon and Cornwall Eng.also Victoria and Western Aust
Hills family,Sheffield,Portsmouth Eng and WAust and SAust
O'Donoghue family ,Victoria,Sth Australia,Ireland
Gaskin family,Victoria Aust