Author Topic: SCOTLAND/IRELAND Malley (Mailley, O'Malley Maley) Edward born abt 1810  (Read 3366 times)

Offline lizstrip

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SCOTLAND/IRELAND Malley (Mailley, O'Malley Maley) Edward born abt 1810
« on: Thursday 13 June 13 07:08 BST (UK) »
Any information for the following would be greatly appreciated.

Edward Malley
DOB abt 1810 Ireland
married to Catherine (can't quite read the last name but I think it is McGuire)  not too sure though as the marriage information I have for his son Richard Malley is very hard to read.
If anybody knows how to read it for me, that would be great too. I could attach it if that is an option or email it to you.
Details I have are:
Richard Malley
DOB abt 1833
Ireland
Married 19 September 1859, Glasgow, Scotland to
Ann Dowd  DOB about 1841 Ireland
Children (that I know of)
Martin Mailley (my Great Grandad) born 20 October 1860 in Glasgow Died 1 October 1936, Scotland
Mary Malley 1862
Patrick Malley 1873

Offline lizstrip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: SCOTLAND/IRELAND Malley (Mailley, O'Malley Maley) Edward born abt 1810
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 June 13 06:08 BST (UK) »
It doesn't appear that anybody can help with this, but I found more information
Edward Malley was married to Catherine Magan and he would have been born about 1818.  They were both born in Ireland.  If I could find their marriage certificate that would be great.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 June 13 10:24 BST (UK) »
Have you found this family on any Scotland census ?  If they were Glasgow based then perhaps a move to the Scotland board night help.  Looks as if the surname could have many possibilities.  ::)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 June 13 10:35 BST (UK) »
Lizstrip, perhaps you could post the section of the document you are having difficulty with, either here or on the deciphering board.

Also if you got it from Scotlandspeople it may be worth asking them for a better scan, they usually oblige free of charge.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 June 13 10:37 BST (UK) »
Seems to confirm the names you state in your original post:-

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTYF-TWG

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline lizstrip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 June 13 11:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you both.  I did in fact get in touch with scotlands people and they emailed me a much clearer document so I was able to read their parents name.  Thank you :)  Yes Sandra that is the right people :)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 June 13 13:27 BST (UK) »
Have you found this family on any Scotland census ?  If they were Glasgow based then perhaps a move to the Scotland board night help.  Looks as if the surname could have many possibilities.  ::)

Sandra

Did the family stay in Scotland ?

Offline lizstrip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 00:47 BST (UK) »
Richard Malley and Ann Dowd were married in Scotland and I found them in Census but I'm not sure if his parents were actually in Scotland when they were married.  They are listed on their marriage but doesn't say if they reside or not.  I guess I could look at Census records.  I would like to find Edward Maley and Catherine Magan's marriage Certificate.  Her name turned out to be Magan.  They were both born in Ireland.  I seem to think that the name Maley would have changed from O'Malley.  My maiden name is Mailley, then when it gets to Richard it changes to Malley, then his Father is listed as Maley, so it gets a little confusing to say the least.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 01:39 BST (UK) »
Hello,

At last I found Richard as Mulley in 1861 lodging with the Dowds.
Besides the various spellings of your name, it is also a common surname and this, plus the early dates you see, will make it difficult for you.
Did you notice that there is a Sarah Maughan, 25 yrs lodging in the house also? She may have nothing to do with the family but it could be an alternative to your Magan name.
I had thought it could be Mangan also.
There is an Edward Maley, 52 yrs boarding in 1861, Glasgow. There is no indication of his marital status. He is a cloths dealer.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk