Author Topic: Great Milton, Oxfordshire Lookups Please  (Read 2823 times)

Offline genboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Great Milton, Oxfordshire Lookups Please
« on: Saturday 15 June 13 06:14 BST (UK) »
Could anybody help with a few lookups for Great Milton, Oxfordshire please.
I've been tracking the family in Buckinghamshire and couldn't find the marriage.
A 'Family Search' index suggests it may be in this parish.
Marriage 1814:  John Woodbridge & Jemima Best. 
c.1794: Jemima Best baptism (not in BKM so far)
Any help gratefully accepted.
Tranter, Spruce, Lawley, Porton @ STS
Evans, John, Morgan, Rees @ GLA
Coxon, Linsley @ DUR 
Hoy, Shildrick @ CAM
Woodbridge, Best @ BKM
Longbottom, Waddington @ YKS
Cochran, Dougan, Widdows, Johnston @ Ireland

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
Re: Great Milton, Oxfordshire Lookups Please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 June 13 09:37 BST (UK) »
Great Milton Marriage - 8 June 1814 - John Woodbridge(batch.) to Jemima Best(Spin.).  Both of the parish.
Witnesses - Obadiah Mayett & Joseph Coleman.

No baptisms for them in Great Milton.

Where in Buckinghamshire have you tracked them.    There is a John Woodbridge(c1796. Oxfordshire) in Burford in 1841.

I can see Jemima Woodbridge(c1796.Buckinghamshire), living in Bledlow, with Bledlow Ridge. with children, Martha & Maria.  There was also another child.......Eliza Woodbridge, who was baptised 7 Nov 1819 @ Bledlow.

Steve. :)

Taken from OxFHS - Great Milton Transcripts CD.
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline genboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 June 13 10:24 BST (UK) »
Thankyou VERY VERY MUCH.  I have been after this marriage for years, but was waiting for better records being available from Bucks to hunt it down.  I have just got the Bucks FHS do a search for me for all parishes for many decades and didn't find any marriage or baptism for John Woodbridge and Jemima Best. 
Background for you and others if they can help:
My ancestor Eliza Woodbridge came to Australia in 1844, she was from Bledlow, BKM, and listed her parents as Jemima Best and John Woodbridge who had died already. 
I have got the baptisms for the Woodbridge children in Bledlow, BKM (Martha, Maria, Eliza and John) before from LDS FamilySearch.  I got mother Jemima's death in Bledlow in 1846 from FreeBMD.  Her 1841 Census says she was born in Bucks (can be suspect at times), and husband John had died by 1841. 
So I'm still after the John & Jemima's baptisms to go back further and the father John Woodbridge's burial c.1834-1841.  Perhaps they are from Oxfordshire?  Do Oxfordshire FHS offer a search facility as good as the Bucks FHS?
thanks again for your prompt and valuable assistance
Scott, Australia.
Coxon, Linsley @ DUR 
Hoy, Shildrick @ CAM
Woodbridge, Best @ BKM

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 June 13 10:51 BST (UK) »
Yes, I'm sure OxFHS has a baptism search facility.  £1.50 for a single name search.   Check out their web site for details. :)

In the greater scheme of things, there are very few BEST marriages in the OxFHS marriage index.  1538-1837.  That surname isn't that common, going back from the 1790's. ;)

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline dunelm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 17:02 GMT (UK) »
My Great (x3) Grandmother Sarah Woodbridge was baptised at Great Milton on 26 Feb 1816.  She was the daughter of John Woodbridge and Jemima Best.  I am related through her son John Grace Woodbridge who was born in Bledlow BKM on 27 Apr 1835.

Sarah had a younger sister Eliza Woodbridge.  She was baptised in Bledlow on 7 Nov 1819.  Eliza has a daughter, Martha Woodbridge.  She was baptised in Bledlow on 21 Jul 1839.  Eliza and Martha are listed as inmates in the Marlow Workhouse, Great Marlow in the 1841 Census.

Any information about Eliza and the Australian branch of the Woodbridge family would be greatly appreciated.

Dunelm

Offline genboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dunelm, thanks for the post. 
Yes since this last post, I found that the John [Grace] Woodbridge, 6yo in the 1841 Census with Jemima was not her son but the illegitimate son of her daughter Sarah, who was working elsewhere at Census time.  It  also threw that in John Grace Woodbridge's wedding to Emma Barlow, he lists his father as John Woodbridge, which would be his grandfather; his illegitimacy being the motivating factor here I suspect. 
Q: I have not found the death of Jemima's husband, John Woodbridge; he's not in 1841 Census and listed as deceased in daughter Eliza's 1844 shipping records - any leads?  Their son James's (b1825) burial  is also missing so there maybe a gap in the parish registers or they may have been in another area.
Q: I have an 1841 marriage for Sarah Woodbridge to Joseph Abbott.  Tracking them through the Censuses points at a death for her in 1864 and husband Joseph in 1867.  Does that check out with your research?
Eliza:  As you mentioned Eliza also had an illegitimate daughter Martha and was in the workhouse in 1841. In Feb 1844 Eliza married John Cantwell in OXF.  In Aug 1844 the Cantwells emigrated to Sydney, Australia.  In 1854 Martha married Thomas Lawrence, and in 1857 Step father John Cantwell died.  Many family trees trace back the Cantwell bloodline not realising that Martha was not his daughter.  The Lawrences propagated well in the Upper Hunter region and so is a very common name there. The Lawrences had a reunion many years ago and the family tree book was 4cm thick! 
In 1858 Eliza remarried to Edmund Edwards.  In 1878 Edmund died, and in 1879 Eliza died at 59yo. Martha was her only living child.  Martha & Thomas Lawrence had 11 children, daughter Eliza the eldest was my ancestor.     
Scott
Coxon, Linsley @ DUR 
Hoy, Shildrick @ CAM
Woodbridge, Best @ BKM

Offline dunelm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 January 14 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scott,
Thank you for your message and the information relating to Eliza and Martha Woodbridge.  Your help is greatly appreciated. In all other respects our findings (Barlow, Abbott,Scrogg) are similar.

In the 1830's the situation in the Bledlow area was dire (see article in Sydney Herald).  Poverty was widespread and many people were reliant on charity.  John and Jemima Woodbridge regularly feature in the Bledlow Charity Books.  The first reference to John is in 1816 (2 adults + 2 children).  The last reference for John is 1822/23 when he was given a foulweather jacket for outdoor work.  The last entry for Jemima is 1835 when she was given a rug.  Since their youngest child was born in 1825 it is possible that John may have died at this time but I have been unable to find a burial record.

The situation in Bledlow was so bad that families were encouraged/assisted to move to areas where they could find work.  John Grace Woodbridge became a chairmaker and took his skills to Sunderland where he set up his own business.  He died in Sunderland in 1914.

There are quite a number of families named Woodbridge in Great Milton during the period 1772 -1842 but again I have been unable to find any record for the birth/baptism of John Woodbridge.

I have information about other branches of our Woodbridge family if you are interested.

Dunelm