Author Topic: 'Secrets from the Workhouse' tv programme  (Read 14885 times)

Offline mrs.tenacious

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 'Secrets from the Workhouse' tv programme
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 07 July 13 18:44 BST (UK) »
And on the subject of workhouses, forgot to mention that an ancestor of mine worked as a Workhouse Officer for a few years, and his older brother (by only a year) was admitted to that same workhouse in his last few years, and died there. 

I wonder how difficult that might have been, for both of them.
Rogers: Sussex
Sanders/Saunders: Brenchley, Kent
Hales: Navenby, Lincs
Lidbetter: Sussex
Burns: Birmingham/Weston-super-Mare
Gray/Stocks: Weston-super-Mare
Hayden
Bubb: Kent
Ward: Notts

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 07 July 13 18:58 BST (UK) »
Perhaps Barbara T B could contact Davina and Nicky and get herself on Long Lost Family to find the children who were shipped off to Australia? ;)

Offline Wendus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 07 July 13 20:04 BST (UK) »
I only managed to catch the second programme :'(   My gt-gt-grandfather was a Met policeman, but he was stationed in the old Fulham Workhouse, with his wife, and a couple of his children were subsequently born there. Later, when the old workhouse was closed, he stayed on "in order to guard the premises" (according to that year's census). I heard no mention of this kind of 'in-house security' in the programme ... it would have been nice to understand my gt-gt-grandfather's role a bit better.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 07 July 13 20:28 BST (UK) »
The programmes had considerable potential but, in my opinion, failed to deliver on much of it. The format of jumping from one celebrity to another led to a lot of repetition as did the breaks for advertisements. Sadly the latter appears to be the norm for the modern documentary format where the makers appear to think the viewers have the attention span and memory of a goldfish.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 07 July 13 20:40 BST (UK) »
I only managed to catch the second programme :'(   My gt-gt-grandfather was a Met policeman, but he was stationed in the old Fulham Workhouse, with his wife, and a couple of his children were subsequently born there. Later, when the old workhouse was closed, he stayed on "in order to guard the premises" (according to that year's census). I heard no mention of this kind of 'in-house security' in the programme ... it would have been nice to understand my gt-gt-grandfather's role a bit better.

Ex Policeman were often employed as Watchmen or Security Guards after being pensioned off. My Husband's paternal G/Grandfather was in the Metropolitan Police for 20+ years, and then pops up in Cardiff on the 1911 Census as a 'Police Pensioner' , guarding the offices of the Inland Revenue in Cardiff!

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Wendus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 07 July 13 21:54 BST (UK) »
My gt-gt-grandfather wasn't an ex-policeman though, in fact after he left his duties at the workhouse, he was promoted to Sergeant in 'T' division and retired a year or two later.

He and his wife and new baby had come to London from Buckinghamshire, with letters of recommendation from the local squire and other dignitaries, and he joined the Met straight away. The Fulham Workhouse posting was the first one he was given, and he stayed there for a number of years.

Offline toffeebear

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 07 July 13 22:28 BST (UK) »
The programmes had considerable potential but, in my opinion, failed to deliver on much of it. The format of jumping from one celebrity to another led to a lot of repetition as did the breaks for advertisements. Sadly the latter appears to be the norm for the modern documentary format where the makers appear to think the viewers have the attention span and memory of a goldfish.

I agree! I have just read an article in WDYTYA magazine which said originally there were ten stories but only five could fit into the two shows. Personally I would have liked another two or three stories instead of so much repetition. And Brian Cox got on my nerves slightly as well!
JENNINGS (-TEMPLE) - Kent/Msex/Berks; BENNETT - Dorset/Msex; ROSE - Notts/Lincs; MURRAY - Essex; METHLEY - Yorks; BIRCH - Kent; BRYDEN - Lancs/Stirl; MCGREGOR - Stirl/Perth; BROADLEY- Lancs; HUDSON - Mon/Durh; ROWLEY - Denb/Durh; PRICE - Mon; BERRY - Mon/Devon

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 07 July 13 22:37 BST (UK) »
personally,i watched the first programme and it seemed like another celebrity show. gave the second part a miss. what a shame it could have been a totally absorbing documentary had it been more in depth and less celebrity culture.

Offline Wendus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 07 July 13 23:50 BST (UK) »
Ooh, don't even get me started on WDYTYA! It is totally misleading to anyone just starting their family history, gives all the wrong messages and has plenty of mistakes!  >:(