Author Topic: Unassisted passenger lists 1826-1922 Sydney  (Read 6148 times)

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Unassisted passenger lists 1826-1922 Sydney
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 June 13 08:05 BST (UK) »
There is an Eliza Marks born in Carcour NSW with parents James and Margaret in 1867 - a possibility.  reg 8210/1867 http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/

regards,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 June 13 08:05 BST (UK) »
I think you may have to look for his un-Anglised Germanic name. It would be closer to Zander and could have additional as in Hoff IE Zanderhoff. I will look through my German emigration information for the late 1800's Brisbane area. Many German migrants came under an assisted passage either into Qld (where my Jeager GAGER family)or SA where many others went.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline tattyhead

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 June 13 08:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Neil
That is good to know.
Tattyhead :)
Lincolnshire,Barton,Simpson,Cuttoo,
Glamorgan, Dicks, Evans
Carmarthan, morris
Gloucester, Dicks
Yorkshire, Pygass
Pembrokeshire

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 16 June 13 08:16 BST (UK) »
I cannot see why a naturalised British Subject would have been interned during WWII, and he was clearly on the electoral roll.

If this were my chap, I would be getting the NAA naturalisation papers digitised for Karl, as it should show the name of the ship of arrival, when he arrived, his place and date of birth, his various addresses in Australia, his marriage, his children (living and if any had not survived), his occupation/s, etc. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 June 13 08:21 BST (UK) »
That's a good find there Ros,

It could well be Tatty's Eliza, born Carcoar NSW ....   It was not at all unusal for families to move between the various colonies even back in those times, so it could be that either Eliza or the whole family moved to Qld at some time prior to that 1902 marriage.

If I understand it, it is now possible to download Qld BDM certs immediately .... 
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,649799.0.html

I think the Qld BDM marriage certs for that era included details of when and where born, and info as to parents names, former names, etc....

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 16 June 13 08:39 BST (UK) »
I may be way off the Mark, but there are quite a few Zanders in Qld and one family having children there from the mid 1850's. 1880's Carl Abert may have been an elder child to this couple. Do we have his death details?

The family is Johann Adolph Zander and Anna Catherine Sophie Klass. They may have used John and Ann ::)

Neil

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 16 June 13 08:45 BST (UK) »
Yes Neil,  NSW BDM has his death registered :

9031/1959
 SANDER  Karl Albert, at 86 years, born Germany. 

Cheers,  JM

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 16 June 13 08:48 BST (UK) »
Not much help with mum or dad is it ::)

Hmm. :P

Neil

PS meant to say he is not showing up on Qld immigration ???

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 16 June 13 08:54 BST (UK) »
 ;D   His wife had died in 1957 (NSW BDM, mentioned earlier this thread), so perhaps no-one around to remember the given names for his parents. 

I do think the family history information as to his parents would be on the Qld mc, but I am also sure that his ship of arrival ought to be on his naturalisation papers which if I am reading the index correctly was applied for in Oct 1940, ie more than twelve months after Prime Minister Menzies announced that Australia was at war.    So I feel that his application would have been subject to close scrutiny, and it must have been approved as he and his wife are on the electoral roll in 1943.

Off to see if there's any public trees with mention of Karl, and if so, what documentation is cited there.

Cheers,  JM