Author Topic: Unassisted passenger lists 1826-1922 Sydney  (Read 6145 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Unassisted passenger lists 1826-1922 Sydney
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 16 June 13 11:07 BST (UK) »
No, Neil you are not reading it wrong  :) 

I can find an Albert SANDER at North Sydney in 1915, and I wonder if the use of that name provided him with some 'Anglo' protection, as his wife was obviously born and bred in Australia....

Of course, my explanation is SPECULATION and I am often w r o n g  when I venture down that path. 

Perhaps during WWI he was crew on shipping ...

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 16 June 13 11:23 BST (UK) »
Wrong; I thought that was my forte :o

Holsworthy was as far as I know the main camp in NSW, but there were others. My mother was horrified to find out that her father, born here was to be interned, but the locals kicked up such a fuss that they left him be. That didn't stop someone shooting up the place in 1915 though, nearly killed my mum as all the bullets went through her bedroom in the front of the house.

Maybe his name did save him, but as a non-british with german parents that had served in the German army he would have stood out to the military secret police.

I didn't know that many outside of japanese, german and italians were interned. Just found out that British passport holders here with wrong backgrounds IE Karl, could and were locked up, then let out daily to go to work :o

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 16 June 13 11:38 BST (UK) »
Neil,  I didn't know that either ....  so, it was OK to be sent outside of the barbed wire to work, but to go to sleep you had to be inside the barbed wire ....  that simply doesn't make much sense to me ...  mind you I thought the main internment camp was at Berrima ....  I thought Liverpool was for Enlisting not for Interning.  :)

Oh well, I will have to figure out how to ask my older rellies if they heard any tales from their older cousins re WWI internment camps.   

I do know that it would be very unlikely for Japanese to be interned in Australia in WWI, afterall, the Japanese were British Allies during that war....  :) 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline tattyhead

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 17 June 13 06:20 BST (UK) »
Hi all.
I am amazed how much I have learned about this family.
The research is for a close friend and Carl Albert SANDER is his grandfather. He is travelling around Australia at the moment and will be amazed at how much you have discovered for his family.
I believe Holsworthy was mentioned as the internment place.
On the shipping item was he on the crew or have i got that wrong?
tattyhead :-\
Lincolnshire,Barton,Simpson,Cuttoo,
Glamorgan, Dicks, Evans
Carmarthan, morris
Gloucester, Dicks
Yorkshire, Pygass
Pembrokeshire

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 17 June 13 07:15 BST (UK) »
http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/1898/10/069pri.htm

I just looked through the list of Passengers and crew of the ship on it's arrival at New South Wales and he is NOT on it :o

Neil

So..... ???

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 17 June 13 07:30 BST (UK) »
Now this is interesting :o

Wlihelm Carl Albert SANDER Married Ottilie Ida SEMMLER in 1903 at  Angaston South Australia 
The REF# is 216/906

Seems she didn't die in SA prior to his leaving (IE If It's Him) She didn't die in Qld either prior to his marriage. ???

Neil

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 17 June 13 12:19 BST (UK) »
http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/1898/10/069pri.htm

I just looked through the list of Passengers and crew of the ship on it's arrival at New South Wales and he is NOT on it :o

Neil

So..... ???

So the ship arrived firstly at Fremantle .... perhaps he alighted at a port before Sydney  :)  Afterall he did say he landed on eight hour day 1898 and on that day Trove shows that the ship was in Fremantle  :)

See my earlier reply (#26)

Cheers,  JM

Offline tattyhead

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 06:47 BST (UK) »
Hi all
I had a look at 1897 year on passenger list for the same steamer and same month, there is an Albert SANDER age 25 in the crew which tallies with the year he was born. Do you think there may have been a misprint fo the year.
 Tattyhead:-\
Lincolnshire,Barton,Simpson,Cuttoo,
Glamorgan, Dicks, Evans
Carmarthan, morris
Gloucester, Dicks
Yorkshire, Pygass
Pembrokeshire

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 07:08 BST (UK) »
He was interned  :-[

He arrived in Australia on the Prince Regent, embarked at Luitpeld  He arrived 8 hour day 1898 (October???, not sure about that month)  he had served in the 1st Regiment of Prussian Guards in 1893.   Yes, Merlin has correct parents  :)  Karl Wilhelm SANDER and Henriette PETRE.... 

The above comes from his digitised papers at the NAA  :)

I HAVE MODIFIED TO CORRECT MY ERROR RE SHIP'S NAME and to add further info

The ship was the PRINZ REGENT LUITPOLD .... arriving Sydney 14 Oct 1898,
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/88152407   
departed London at 6:40 am on 30 August 1898
actually departed Bremen 24 August 1898
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/71318571

Apologies for my mis-reading,  there's some of the crew/passenger list for that voyage at the following link:
http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/

Cheers,  JM

Unless he signed on as crew when they returned no. This from JM above gives his arrival.

MODIFIED should have read your post again you are saying he was crew on that ship the year prior.

So sorry :-[ :-[ :-[

Neil