Author Topic: Andrews Family Pershore Worcestershire  (Read 11276 times)

Offline Jondi99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Andrews Family Pershore Worcestershire
« Reply #18 on: Friday 09 August 13 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Phil,

I have had a very quick look at the information and found the James and Sarah children are all good apart from Ann.  Family Search gives Christening as 26 Jan 1774 you found 26 Dec 1773 so it looks as if Family Search got it wrong!!

I'm still working the marriages.

Can you persuade Worcester to put all their microfilm data on line for the benefit of those who are on holiday but stuck in front of a screen!!??

Take care,

John

Offline Jondi99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 11 August 13 12:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Phil,

I've started on the marriages and it looks as if the one you have as:

26 SEP 1771 James Andrews = Sarah Foster
wits - William ______,Elizabeth Ganderton

could definitely be the right one for James.  I looked at Family Search and found a James Andrews Christened at Holy Cross, Pershore on 30 Nov 1750 with a father William Andrews.  So if the witness William ______ above could be Andrews, I have the maiden name of his wife.

If you have a chance will you try to decipher it again please.

Many thanks,

John

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 15 August 13 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi John

I will check Ann's bap date again as I could have made a typo but all the results I send are from parish register films.  Here are a few more
Ive looked at Pershore St Andrew & cant find any of your Andrew's thereas they seem to only have been baptised at Holy Cross
12 FEB 1799 William Andrews = Sarah Harris (licence)
Wits - ____ James Andrews, Ester Harris

2 NOV 1801 William Walter = Sarah Andrews (after Banns)
Wits - James Bunn, William Andrews

I loked for the family on your original posting but could only find baps for 3 of the children
11 MAY 1799 James s/o Samuel/Anne Andrews
17 DEC 1800 Edmund s/o    "    Ann        "
27 FEB 1805 Samuel s/o      "      "           "
(I looked at both Holy Cross & St Andrew for these)

I hope this is of some help to you

All the very best

Phil

ps my next visit to the Hive will be Tuesday 
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline Jondi99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 15 August 13 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Phil,

Many thanks for all your hard work.  I seem to remember, very vaguely, my father mentioning Holy Cross in some context.  He was born in Worcester (I have all the details of his parents and siblings) but he had a great grandfather that ran a pub in Newlands, Pershore which is in the Holy Cross parish.  As a result I think you are correct in your belief that all are Holy Cross.

If you have a chance on Tuesday will you look again at the marriage:

26 SEP 1771 James Andrews = Sarah Foster
wits - William ______,Elizabeth Ganderton

and see if you can make sense of the surname for William ______.  I think it should be Andrews which would, hopefully, confirm it is the one I was after.

Take care,

John

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 15 August 13 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi John

I will do my very best to decypher this surname for you & I hope that it is Andrews but will not say that it is unless Im sure of the fact

All the very best

Phil

ps you just caught me as I was about to log of this library computer but thought I would have a look at my e mail page first & there was your link to Roots Chat
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 22 August 13 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hi John

Whoops it was my error & the IGI is correct (I hate to admit  :))

Marriage date 26 JAN 1774.

I also checked the witness on that other marriage to try & decypher the surname but as it was still a bit unclear to me I search the marriages 1754-1790 in the same parish to see if I could find his signiature again & found the (I think) same chap was a witness to a marriage in 1768 where the name is Bussell or Busselly - if I had to make an educated guess at the name on the Andrews marriage concerned I would have said it was Barrell but cant be certain even with the reader on 48x magnification & using a powerful magnifying glass to boost that a bit.

I wish that I could have sent you a surname that would have been a lot more help to you but did say that I would only send what I saw

All the very best

Phil

Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline Jondi99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 22 August 13 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Phil,

Your help is very much appreciated and the information you disclosed brings the end of this bit of searching a little closer.  Without your help I would still be staring at a blank sheet.

It is good to know that IGI is correct even though it is a bit embarrassing to misread.  But I've done it often enough myself to realise just how easy it is to do.

Thanks for trying to decipher the surname.  It would have been nice to have confirmed it as a relative; it still may be but not with a surname I am familiar with.  I'm sure there well be another hint somewhere that provides confirmation.  I'm also certain my eyes would have been no better than yours.  Some of the handwriting is worse than mine and that goes some!!

Take care.  All my best,

John

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi John

I wish I could have sent you a surname that would have fit in with your tree but its sods law, when you want a name to turn up it very seldom does, well I find that anyway.  Good luck with your research & I hope that name fits in some day as its not very common so should be easier to trace

All the very best

Phil

ps I thought mine was an unusual surmane till I started to trace it years ago & it turned out to be all over the place in WOR
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just caught this thread, as it's slightly off my patch.  When you get a chance have a look at some of the early commercial directories for Worcestershire.

Like the Worcester branch Bromsgrove also has a branch of BMSGH.  We are lucky to have been offered some transcriptions, which are not commercially viable, so offer them for free.  One is Pigot's 1835 for Worcestershire.  This resource like most of the others is tucked away behind a security firewall.  Please go to www.bromsgrovebmsgh.co.uk/ and register, which includes doing a couple of picture matches.

Once registered, you will get more then the initial two results for ANDREWS from the main search engine.  No guarantee that they are yours though.  You should find a James and an Edmund.  You may get more than one result per page, so use the Control key (Ctrl) and F at the same time and put ANDREWS in the search box.

Hope that helps

Mike
HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland