Author Topic: European or Semitic?  (Read 2232 times)

Offline ThomasJames1918

• RootsChat Member
  • Stanley Lyman 1898-1987 And Derek James 1934-2012
    • View Profile
European or Semitic?
« on: Sunday 16 June 13 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have recently been studying a photo of my great great granddad Charles William Wetherall (man
on the left), for the past few weeks I have been puzzled about were Charles, siblings and his parents came from. Charles was born in 1868 in London, the census’s shows that the Wetherall’s and Mary Fawkes (Charles’ mum) have lived in England since the 1600’s but we are not sure about before then. Would anybody have an idea if it’s possible to tell what there genetic background is just by facial features?

Thanks

Thomas

http://mediasvc.ancestry.com/image/fe35bebc-8883-461b-8225-39bc0a393b04.jpg?Client=Trees&NamespaceID=1093

http://mediasvc.ancestry.com/image/5f5a7c56-c591-444f-a7e0-a187a4e512cc.jpg?Client=Trees&NamespaceID=1093

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: European or Semitic?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 June 13 18:27 BST (UK) »
Almost impossible, I would say! ;D

I'm from the West of England, with ancestors from Wiltshire, Kent, Suffolk and Essex.
Because I am dark, I have been "accused" of being Irish and Italian in the past!

There's no Irish or Italian blood in my family (and I'm back to 1500's).
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ThomasJames1918

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yeah I guess I will have to wait and try to find a DNA testing company. Although they might be asking for a stupid price, it might still be worth getting.

TJ

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 16:53 BST (UK) »
Personally, I would save my money! :o

I am a confirmed sceptic, where DNA testing is concerned ;D
As somebody else said recently, on another thread - voodoo science!!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 17:08 BST (UK) »
No comment on the DNA, but that man could easily be a member of my family which is 100% British as far back as I can trace with the exception of one German ggg-grandmother on the maternal side [which is otherwise 100% English].  The paternal side is dark haired and dark eyed - the darkness allegedly coming from way back, a 7X g-grandfather who died in Massachusetts in 1732 and whose gravestone says he was born in "Wales, England."  His descendants have dark hair and eyes and later mixing with Irish, Scottish and English blood has done little to dilute the color.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline ThomasJames1918

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yeah the family has always wondered if there was a middle-east blood line connection, but maybe I and my family will just have to go with our instinct on their origin. Charles Wetherall married a Lady called Harriet Rowe and even with her and her siblings there was a strong middle eastern or Italian likeness, her brother Reverend John Ranshall Rowe was a Methodist in Cornwall for something and then in Middlesex. John was the one with the strongest features I think from her family.

TJ

http://mediasvc.ancestry.com/image/69d94279-8ea4-4dde-b82e-71d85036e4e5.jpg?Client=Trees&NamespaceID=1093

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yeah the family has always wondered if there was a middle-east blood line connection, but maybe I and my family will just have to go with our instinct on their origin.

You should never go by instinct!
Only go by documentary evidence!! ;D

Offline ThomasJames1918

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 July 13 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have been doing some other research on other sub-race in Europe and I came across a painting of a welsh tribesmen (Alpine Race) and he had a striking similarity on looks with the people in my photo. I guess the painting isn't accurate at all, but it can point me in the right direction. I might just see what the DNA test Says, if I can get one!

TJ

Offline BristolClark

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 July 13 19:44 BST (UK) »
Would anybody have an idea if it’s possible to tell what there genetic background is just by facial features?

You can always go onto an anthro-forum and make a classification thread, but it wouldn't be conclusive for obvious reasons, and it certainly wouldn't be able to give you any indication as to DNA or the family's recent origin. For what it's worth he looks European.

FTDNA and 23andme are the best companies to go with if you go down that route, and it is money well spent.