Author Topic: Canada, British Regimental Registers of Service, 1756-1900  (Read 7104 times)

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Canada, British Regimental Registers of Service, 1756-1900
« on: Monday 17 June 13 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
Not sure if I am in the correct place. I have just found Register of Service for Samuel Pallent born about 1793 Benhall Suffolk. Military date 1812 Unit 12th Foot Soldiers. I would like to know more, when did he arrive, could this be found, did he stay in Canada? Not asking much  :-X Any help most appreciated.
PS It mentions Portsea is that where they were?
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Canada, British Regimental Registers of Service, 1756-1900
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 June 13 13:19 BST (UK) »
There is no connection with Canada, other than you may have found the information on Canadian Ancestry. He 'attested' (took the oath) for the 12th Foot in Portsea, which is part of Portsmouth. He enlisted for 7 years 'limited service'. The second page says he died 2nd July 1814 in Fermoy (Ireland).

The 12th Foot had two battalions from 1811 to 1818. He was in the 2nd Battalion which served in England and Ireland. After his death they served in the army of occupation in France following Waterloo. The 1st Battalion were in India. He would not have seen any action.

The notes says he was one of the men who volunteered from the E Suffolk M (East Suffolk Militia). The Militia in this time were selected by ballot, so you should ask the Suffolk Archives if they have any lists. They may have a ‘census’ of other Pallents, and they may have a list of men selected. If selected men could pay a substitute to serve in their place. So he may have been a paid subsitute. Militia only served at home, so large numbers were asked to volunteer to serve with Regular battalions ‘for the duration’ so they could be sent overseas if necessary.

Ken

Offline mindfulroz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi
Can this register be searched online (not through the Ancestry web site as I don't have a subscription) I noticed from theancestry site that there were 2 references to Dancey (born in Ireland) & as that's a name & locality of origin I'm researching, I'm hoping to check the Regimental Registers records without having to pay
any help out there?
many thanks
Roz

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,
My apologies I some how missed your reply. Thank you so much for your time and trouble. All is clear now, death is interesting as I thought I spotted him on 1841 census I shall have to review this.  :)
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline christinethomast

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 September 16 20:33 BST (UK) »
I've also come across relatives in the Registers of Service and now understand that they are UK and not necessarily Canada.  The Attestation section lists Place, Date, For what period of time, and By whom enlisted.  I understand that the actual Attestation form includes even more information - including next of kin.  So my question is, where might I find these forms?

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 September 16 08:47 BST (UK) »
As I explained in my first post he did not serve overseas. The reason for these 'Canada' lists is not clear.

Only a small number of Attestation papers have survived from this period - before c1880. They have been culled over the past 150 to 250 years to save space. The records that do - and these are only of soldiers awarded a pension - are from his Discharge hearing. But these will give you almost everything anyway.

Army attestation forms do not record next of kin until much later. There are incomplete BMD records in the Overseas and Regimental records; and Chaplains records. These are on a few paid sites. Also, some marriage and birth registers, mainly for the Artillery which are searchable on the National Archives Discovery.

Often the only source is to research the muster books to find where the man was month by month, and then look in BMD registers in nearby churches. The muster books from the late 1860s also list the families on the Married Roll. It lists wife's name and the ages of any children. Musters are in the National Archives, and 99% are not online.

Ken

Offline christinethomast

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 September 16 14:31 BST (UK) »
Ken- Thanks, this is helpful.  These enlistments are from the early 1800's - where would I find the muster books?
Chris

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 September 16 20:52 BST (UK) »
Are we still talking 12th Foot?

Also what name and place of birth?

Ken

Offline christinethomast

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 September 16 22:17 BST (UK) »
The names are John S. Ingham County Cavan, Parish of Anna, 25 Aug 1808, George Ingham County Fermanaugh, Parish of Inniskillen?, 15 Apr 1811, William C. Ingham County Cavan, Belturber, 15 Jul 1815. For John, it appears that he served earlier from 1796 to 1801. I have no indication of what regiment.