Author Topic: Llewellyn family of Merthyr  (Read 1307 times)

Offline joshuadwilliams

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Llewellyn family of Merthyr
« on: Tuesday 18 June 13 10:33 BST (UK) »
Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I have a Hannah Llewellyn marrying a John Davies on the 27th October 1884 at Merthyr Tydfil register office. Hannah is 19yo, the residence is given as 2 Taff Street, Caepantywyll, Merthyr, and she is the daughter of Oswell Llewellyn, iron moulder. Witnesses are William Harris and Elizabeth Morgans.

I am hoping that someone can locate Hannah with her parents on the 1881 census or any mention of Oswell at all.

Hopefully others will have better luck as I'm struggling to find them.
Regards, Josh.

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Llewellyn family of Merthyr
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,
They are being hard to find!
All I can come up with is a Lywelyn (as transcribed) family living at Taff Street cottages, Merthyr in 1871.
Oswald and Elizabeth with children including a Hannah aged 4.
Rg 10/4121  121/1

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 15:06 BST (UK) »
They're on the 1861 census, Oswell enumerated as Oswald. No sign on 1881 so far, but there's an Elizabeth Llewellyn born Merthyr 1834, on the 1881 census at 42 Park Row Bedwellty, who is married but with no husband in the household, living with Hannah Jones her mother, a widow born in Tredegar Monmouth in 1818. Also in the household is Hannah Jones' other children.

No sign of "Oswell" or their son Ramsay on 1881 census.

There's a Joseph Oswald Llewellyn aged 65 who died Dec 1900.

Offline joshuadwilliams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 19:49 BST (UK) »
No wonder I couldn't find them on the 1871 census then! And yes, I had come across the 1861 census but wasn't too sure as I couldn't connect them to "my" Hannah, so thanks a bunch for finding these for me both!

I'm not too sure about the 1881 census with Elizabeth, as I have found a likely marriage in 1853 between an Oswell and an Elizabeth Powell in Merthyr. They've most likely been mistranscribed yet again in the 1881 census and that's the reason why I cannot find them, but I'm going to keep on trying. They must be somewhere.

Josh.