Author Topic: Decipher Surname  (Read 1644 times)

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
Re: Decipher Surname
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 June 13 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hi cfbrown459:

Just happened to see this posting and the name Woolley along with Burton upon Trent caught my eye.

I have a distant connection with the Woolley name in the Burton on Trent/Winshill area:

Harry Woolley b 1864 - d 1938?
married in 1886 to
Mary Ann Stone b 1868 - d 1933?

Wondering if you also have this couple in your family tree?

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline Bonza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Solving mysteries, that's the life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 June 13 03:25 BST (UK) »
Hi cfbrown459

There could be various potential scenarios for this problem. It seems the family identified on the 1871 Census may be correct, so to get more information or clarity on the maiden name of Harriett it would be a good idea to obtain the birth certificates of the earliest known child of William and Harriett. Then if that hasn't provided the answer consider getting all children's birth certificates.

It's possible Harriett could have been married beforehand once or more often, so when she married William her surname would be different to her maiden name as well, if they married at all.

I can't positively identify Ann's birth, but son Abraham's birth seems to be this one:
Name: WOOLLEY, Abraham       District: Burton    Ref: 6b 333

Good luck, cheers for now, Neil
Gill (Northants & Oxfordshire), Cockfield (Scotland), Sherriff (Leicestershire, Northants, Oxon & Bucks), Lindsay (Cumberland), Lacey (Somerset), Bisson (Guernsey, CI), Claringbold (Kent & London), Boyd (Dublin, Ire), Crouch (Sussex), Leviston (Dublin), Trand (Clare, Ire), Lewin (London & Surrey). 1824-1825 Hume & Hovell Expedition to Port Phillip - party members Hamilton Hume, William Hilton Hovell, Thomas Boyd, Henry Angel, James Fitzpatrick, Claude Barrois, Benjamin Smith & Samuel Bullard.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 21 June 13 08:53 BST (UK) »

I can't positively identify Ann's birth

Hi

I think Ann might have been Eliza Ann.....

Collingwood, Tatenhall, Burton on Trent
RG9/1967/80a/18

William Wooley, 33, ag lab, b. Dunstall
Harriet, 34, b. B on  T
Henry, s, 6, b. Collingwood
Eliza A, d, 3, b. B on T
William, s, 5 mths, b. Collingwood
Rebecca Baker, brder, 3, b. B on T

....and this could be her birth reg:

Eliza Ann Woolley Mar q, 1858, Burton upon Trent v. 6b p. 292

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 21 June 13 09:13 BST (UK) »
And going back to the Simnett possibility:

Station Street, Burton upon Trent
HO107/975/7/10/12

Sarah Simnett, 20, weaver
Harriett, 20
Joseph, 15, brickmaker
The Simnetts all b. County

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline cfbrown459

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 21 June 13 10:28 BST (UK) »
In reply to Harry Woolley I haven't found him on any census records with William and Harriet for 1871 which you would have thought he would be there.  I would suggest you order Harry's birth certificate to see what the Mother and Father's names are on there to help with your research.

As for Ann or Elizabeth I am coming to the same conclusion that they are in fact the same person.  Eliza is on the 1861 census but Ann is on the 1871 census both about the same age.  I am currently ensuring I have some further details before I finalise my findings for Louisa and her family as there is so much to resolve. 

Simnett family it would seem have a number of different spellings so will start to research this once I have clarified a few more things for Louisa and her family.  Just locating her father's death which I know is before 1886 (from Louisa's marriage certificate) and I think it is even before the 1881 census as I think I have found Harriet living with one of her children but haven't had chance to go much further as really busy at work currently but enjoying the time I do get to spend on it.  I will look at the family connection of Simnett's hopefully over the weekend.
Dodsworth
Brearley
Brown
Jow
Springthorpe
Nortcliffe
Woolley
Chappell
Shaw
Bird
Simnett
Wilmot