Author Topic: Birth or Death of John Henry Boles 1876 Lisnaskea, Fermanagh  (Read 8691 times)

Offline Spearmint

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Birth or Death of John Henry Boles 1876 Lisnaskea, Fermanagh
« on: Thursday 20 June 13 18:37 BST (UK) »
Trying to find out about this guy who may be my great grandfather. He seems, by my research, to have vanished... Can anyone help?

Spearmint  ???

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Birth or Death of John Henry Boles 1876 Lisnaskea, Fermanagh
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 June 13 18:46 BST (UK) »
who may be my great grandfather

Where did you get his name, birthyear and birthplace from?

Assuming he is your great grandfather - when and where did he marry your great grandmother and what was her name and maiden name
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Spearmint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 June 13 19:13 BST (UK) »
Casting around the net. That and the hunch that his first born son called his first born son john Henry. Not much to go on.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 June 13 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi

Casting around the net. That and the hunch that his first born son called his first born son john Henry. Not much to go on.

So you have no idea as to what his christian names/birthyear/birthplace really were - you are just making assumptions the name is the same as his grandson's.  ::)

Sorry - but that is no basis to start researching your FH.  You need to go back to what you know as fact - and that is the birth cert of his first born son.  That will give you his correct christian names and also his wife's name and maiden name.

If you already know the wife's name and maiden name - you can search for the marriage using her details and then see if the reference matches to a Boles.

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1408347

When was the son born and where?  If he was born before 1911 you can look for the family on the 1911 census which is free at www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Spearmint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 June 13 19:37 BST (UK) »
Sorry Carol. I am novice at this. Perhaps this will help. Sorry if I'm making assumptions but dont have much to go on. Perhaps a post from some years ago may help?

Spearmint

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,226009.msg1590091.html#msg1590091

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 June 13 19:50 BST (UK) »
A lot more info there so now for more questions!!

He was in Manchester in 1901 married with 2 children - Geoffrey 5 and Clarence 3. 

One of your replies said you had ordered one of the birth certs so what info did that give?  Did it show Henry as his middle name as he was just John on the 1901

What was Annies maiden name?  Have you found a marriage for them on freebmd  www.freebmd.org.uk

Later census shows Annie as a widow but I can't find a death for John

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 June 13 19:59 BST (UK) »
The only John Boles marriage that fits with Geoffrey's birth was in Manchester in 1896 but was to a Mary Cursley nee Hopper

Offline Spearmint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 June 13 20:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for taking time to read... Carole.

I couldn't find any ref to a marriage. He's listed on my gandfather's birth certificate as just John. His partner's maiden name is Ann/Annie Lea. She remarried (if she was ever married to John) in 1914 and it says on the certificate she was a widow? I wonder if she was lying to avoid stigma?

Spearmint

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 June 13 20:08 BST (UK) »
Both Geoffrey and Clarence's baptismal records only show his father as John & mother Ann

Clarence was born 29.1.1898 and baptised on 10.4.1898 at Manchester, St Mary, St Denys and St George (Manchester Cathedral)

Geoffrey was born 5.11.1895 and baptised at the Cathedral on 5.1.1896