Author Topic: Inneskilling Dragoons  (Read 1232 times)

Offline AussieGaz

• RootsChat Member
  • 49¾ carat Diamond from Diamond Digging
    • View Profile
Inneskilling Dragoons
« on: Friday 21 June 13 13:19 BST (UK) »
Would any RootChatters be able to point me in the right direction?

In the Old Krugersdorp Cemetery in Krugersdorp, South Africa, my great grandfather is buried.

Very briefly, Donald Alexander Clark served with the Gwelo Volunteers in Rhodesia (on the 1896 medal roll) and he then was involved in the relief of Mafeking where he served with the Protectorate Regiment (Regimental Number 428) between 7th October 1899 and was discharged 20th October 1900. He went down from Rhodesia with Lt Col Hore. What I have never been able to clarify, is his association with the above Regiment, despite his headstone mentioning as much. His headstone reads:

"In Loving Memory of Dad
Donald Alexander Clark
Late Trumpeter
Inneskilling Dragoons
Died 2nd April 1930
Aged 71 years"

Family pass-me-downs reflect that he was The Colonels trumpeter....

Over the years, I have tried the Dragoons museum and in my mind have exhausted all avenues that I am aware of.

Any suggestions please?

AussieGaz
Shaw (born Tullyorior in Co. Down then Australia, South Africa and Zimbabwe)
Clark (born Mintlaw / New Pitsligo in Scotland then South Africa)
Taylor / Bruce (born Helenamore / Tyrie / Aberdour in Scotland)
Moody (born Warminster in Wiltshire then South Africa)
Whitehead (born Galton Point / Reigate in Surrey)
Whitfield (born Hull in Yorkshire then Kenya, South Africa and Zimbabwe)
Ellis (born Mafeking in South Africa)
Hanbury-King (born Stockton in Wiltshire then South Africa)

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Inneskilling Dragoons
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 June 13 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi not sure if you have seen this?
DEPOT     TAB SOURCE    MHG TYPE      LEER   VOLUME_NO 0   SYSTEM    01   REFERENCE 79930   PART      1    DESCRIPTION          CLARK, DONALD ALEXANDER.                                             
STARTING  19300000   ENDING    19300000                                                             
REMARKS   SURVIVING SPOUSE ELIZABETH CLARK.

Have you seen the nominal roll with his name in it? If not go to this link http://www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/south-african-units/456-protectorate-regiment?showall=&start=1 also I looked for his grave on this link http://www.eggsa.org/library/main.php?g2_itemId=43 and found nothing. Perhaps you may want to add his photo to this collection for others to view.

Have you thought about putting your question on the Armed Forces forum? I had a query about the BSAC and through this forum they were able to help me.

Regards Derek
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline AussieGaz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 June 13 02:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for the reply Derek.

Lucky I do have a copy of the Protectorate Regiment nominal roll and seen Donald Clark entry. Thanks for the suggestion.

The photo is of the Headstone from Donald Alexanders grave in the Old Krugersdorp cemetery outside Johannesburg; also called the Burgershoop Cemetery in Krugersdorp.

When I took this photo, it must have been about early 1990's. It has a number of interesting graves in it, both friend, foe and civilian. There are supposedly over 1800 concentration camp graves in the cemetery, and even graves from the Jameson Raid.

I am almost sure I have tried the Armed Forces route; I will try and see what came of that, however I am sure that the mystery was still there, so I thought that I would try another tack.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 June 13 08:42 BST (UK) »
Try this link http://www.inniskillingsmuseum.com/trace-a-relative/ at present it is being updated but they say in a few days time you should be able to trace a relative from the Dragoons using this site. Would you mind if I sent your relatives picture to EGGSA in South Africa for them to load on their cemetery database. I myself have given them some pictures of my relatives for future generations to access.

Cheers Derek
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline AussieGaz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 June 13 23:53 BST (UK) »
No problem at all Derek on sharing the photo.

It might be an eye opener to actually see what the cemetery is like these days. Sincerely hope that maintenance has been a feature.

Spent hours walking around it when last there and also the Sterkfontein cemetery that is also in Krugersdorp when we have other family buried, some who emigrated to South Africa from Australia in the early 1900's.

Thanks for your suggestions and web links Derek

Gary