Author Topic: Family search  (Read 5424 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family search
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 June 13 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome Espoir,

you still need to get the birth certificate to be sure of his parentage.
Here is Charles, by the looks of it in 1911 census index https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XWMW-9TR

There is a John Temple Cant born 1876 so the name may not have come from that marriage.

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 June 13 15:21 BST (UK) »
Apparently, Charles is in an orphanage in 1911. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/39PQ-TZ3

He may still be of the family found here but he doesn't seem to be with them in 1911  :-\

Offline Espoir

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 21 June 13 19:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you Heywood. I know he was educated by the Freemasons when his father died. Since  reading your message I've checked the orphanage and it seems it was created to provide education for the children of Freemasons who died. If his father was James Cant who died in 1909 this makes sense. He could very well have been in the orphanage in 1911. Thanks again.

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 22 June 13 09:15 BST (UK) »
I will be at Woodhorn today - the Northumberland Archives - and will look up the trade directories for any CANT's in the occupations you mentioned.

Another possible way of finding this CANT  father is through Freemason records if they survive. There cannot be too many CANT's who died between 1901 and 1911? However you would need to know which lodge he belonged too.

But if I find him in the trade directories, you would not need the Freemason's records :)

Gen in NBL England

UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 22 June 13 09:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you Heywood. I know he was educated by the Freemasons when his father died. Since  reading your message I've checked the orphanage and it seems it was created to provide education for the children of Freemasons who died. If his father was James Cant who died in 1909 this makes sense. He could very well have been in the orphanage in 1911. Thanks again.

Yes. He may have been the right age to go to the school, hence his siblings were still with mother - I did read that not all were orphans.

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 22 June 13 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hello again

I'm writing this at Woodhorn - so I'll expand on my reasoning later at home

I'm fairly certain that Charles Temple CANT's parents are James CANT and Catherine TEMPLE.

I have all their children etc.

Just going to check James and Catherine's marriage as long as it wasn't in a R/O.

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 22 June 13 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hello again Espoir

I found absolutely no CANT's in the area between 1898-1920 in the NBL/DUR trade directories at Woodhorn. This seemed odd so I switched tactics.

With the info you gave (older siblings Robert, John and Elizabeth), I looked for CANT's on the 1901 census around the Wallsend and Tynemouth registration district areas, cross checking them against FreeBMD etc. One stood out - this one:

1901 census    RG13; Piece: 4808; Folio: 142; Page: 22
Longbenton 125 Long Row, (West Moor, Killingworth)
CANT
James   head   marr   30   coalminer hewer   b NBL Killingworth
Catherine   wife   marr   32            b DUR Trimdon Grange
Robert F   son      8            b DUR Monkheseldon
Elizabeth   dau      6            b DUR   Easington
John      son      4            b DUR   Trimdon

This family has been mentioned before by others on this thread.

Here is the marriage of James CANT and Catherine TEMPLE transcribed from the actual church register:
St Nicholas Cathedral  Newcastle upon Tyne
1890  Aug 27th
James CANT   20   bachelor   coachman   res. 29 Market Street   son of Foster CANT  miner
Catherine Temple   22   spinster   res. 81 Grey Street   dau of Robert TEMPLE  miner
Both signed their names
Uncertain whether it was by Banns or Licence as the first two letters of "Banns" is crossed through. Licence is not mentioned so probably by Banns
Witnesses:   John Simpson WILSON and Catherine WILSON

Have a look on Ancestry.com or FindMyPast at the 1911 census for Charles Temple CANT and his siblings.  Search for them each separately. His birthplace on the 1911 entry has been mis-transcribed on both but if you look carefully (blow it right up) it is the same place as one of the other children!

I looked for a baptism for Charles in Longbenton but there was nothing between 1901-1903. Miners were often non-Conformists and there were several chapels in the area. However some of their records seem missing at Woodhorn, some are kept elsewhere.

Gen in NBL England

Offline Espoir

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 22 June 13 19:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Gen. It's such a help as I don't live in England so can only search via the internet. I think I no longer have any family in the North East, but I'm trying to interest my niece who lives in the south.
I'll do as you suggest and try the two sites you mention. I'm new at this and it's amazing how helpful you all are, and how much I've learned about where to look in only two days and what you can discover. I didn't even know my father had been in an orphanage. I have to digest all of this.Thanks again for all your trouble and your help.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 24 June 13 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just passing through and the name "Cant" caught my eye. I have come across that name a lot in my scottish searches and from memory I'm sure the name was mostly from Forfarshire or roundabout there although not the only place so you may discover some Scottish relatives too.

Annie.
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"