Author Topic: Information appreciated for Fox/Shelly & Shelly/Whitty families  (Read 22420 times)

Offline allesond

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Information appreciated for Fox/Shelly & Shelly/Whitty families
« on: Saturday 22 June 13 02:54 BST (UK) »
Margaret Fox b. April 19 1889-1893 was born in Dublin to Nicholas Fox (deceased by 1919, Master Mariner) & mother unknown. I am trying to confirm or dismiss the following family as my ancestors:

Persons on Nicholas Fox Jan 25, 1885 marriage registration include:
Groom: Nicholas Fox (1858) b. at 127 Townsend St to parents Julia Byrne & William Fox
Bride: Margaret Shelly & parents Margaret Dolan & Thomas Shelly (Skelly)
Witness: James Shelly.

In 1885 at 33 Mabbot Street lived: Nicholas Fox & Margaret Shelley, also James Shelly & his wife Anne Whitty & 1st child Mary Margaret.
James & Anne Shelly subsequently had 4 more children Margaret Mary, Joseph Patrick, Margaret, & James at various addresses of: 82 Innisfallen Parade, 10 Stephens Street, 141 Stephens Road, & 4 Grenville Street

In 1885 at 57 Mabbot, lived: Thomas Shelly & Marg’t Dolan, Margaret Shelly’s parents.

In 1890 at 59 Mabbot: Marg’t Mary Fox was b. April 19th to Margaret Shelly (Fox); however, the father is listed as Michael Fox, not Nicholas.

In 1891 at 57 Mabbot where Margaret Shelly’s (Fox) parents lived another child was b. Catherine Fox to Michael and Marg’t Fox.

I cannot fathom how Margaret Shelly (addresses & parents confirmed) married Nicholas Fox in 1885 with all the characters at their wedding and then she gave birth to 2 children whose father is listed as Michael Fox (whom no records exist for marriage or other).

I would like to know if this Margaret Mary Fox b. April 19, 1890 to Margaret Shelly & father Michael Fox is my grandmother, whose father is known as Nicholas Fox & mother unknown.

Thank you
allesdond

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Information appreciated for Fox/Shelly & Shelly/Whitty families
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 June 13 09:45 BST (UK) »
I think a marriage cert might be a good place to start... the record you mentioned is an RC parish record, whereas a civil marriage record would show occupations for the fathers and groom (and sometimes bride), and might help confirm, or rule out, the maritime connection for your Nicholas.

These are the likely references from the BMD Index :

Name : Nicholas Fox
  Event Type : Marriage
  Quarter and Year : Apr - Jun 1885
  Registration District : Dublin North
  Volume : 2 / Page : 461

A matching entry appears for a Margaret Shelly

Did your Fox family stay in Ireland  ? Have you found them of any census returns ?

see : Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
        Details included on a Marriage Cert
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 June 13 12:49 BST (UK) »
on viewing the church register on irish genealogy i personally believe that the name is nicholas and not michael and is wrongly transcribed if you browse around the page and see some of the other Ns and Ms that the priests wrote you might see the difference i think its a latin form Nichale.

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 June 13 13:07 BST (UK) »
Margaret Fox b. April 19 1889-1893 was born in Dublin to Nicholas Fox (deceased by 1919, Master Mariner) & mother unknown. I am trying to confirm or dismiss the following family as my ancestors:

Persons on Nicholas Fox Jan 25, 1885 marriage registration include:
Groom: Nicholas Fox (1858) b. at 127 Townsend St to parents Julia Byrne & William Fox
Bride: Margaret Shelly & parents Margaret Dolan & Thomas Shelly (Skelly)
Witness: James Shell

I cannot fathom how Margaret Shelly (addresses & parents confirmed) married Nicholas Fox in 1885 with all the characters at their wedding and then she gave birth to 2 children whose father is listed as Michael Fox (whom no records exist for marriage or other).

I would like to know if this Margaret Mary Fox b. April 19, 1890 to Margaret Shelly & father Michael Fox is my grandmother, whose father is known as Nicholas Fox & mother unknown.

allesdond

There is a later Baptism in 1894 of an Alicia Fox Parents Nicholas Fox and Margaret Shelly on the www.irishgenealogy.ie site Link http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/03f5780002802
This might indicate that there were two separate couples Michael Fox and Margaret Shelly and Nicholas Fox and Margaret Shelly.
I looked for Alicia in the 1901 census and came up with two possibilities Alice Fox b. Dublin niece of Mary Smith Head age 46 widow b. Queens co. in North Gloucester Place Dublin and the other Alice Fox age 8 b. Dublin in an orphanage in Harold's Cross Dublin also in the orphanage was a Nellie Fox age 9 b. Dublin.
Also have you seen the birth record in the Irish birth index for a Margaret Fox b. Oct Dec 1894 Malta Ireland - this seems to be an extract from an FHL film as the only other reference given is page 4 - no Volume no. so I'm not sure if you can get the birth cert from www.groireland.ie without more details- but may be worthwhile trying.
There is also a death registered for a William Fox b. 1891 d. Oct 1893 in Malta Given that Nicholas was a master mariner would the family have travelled with him? Have you tried for his marine record?
There is a tree on A-----y that has Nicholas Fox listed parents William Fox and Julia Byrne and also marriage 1885 to Margaret Shelley but then has a second marriage for Nicholas in 1886 to a Sarah Ann Worstenholme in Yorkshire - the sources referenced don't confirm if the second marriage is for the same Nicholas Fox however.

annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 June 13 13:21 BST (UK) »
on viewing the church register on irish genealogy i personally believe that the name is nicholas and not michael and is wrongly transcribed if you browse around the page and see some of the other Ns and Ms that the priests wrote you might see the difference i think its a latin form Nichale.

Dathai

Looked at both entries in the register and I'm afraid I see the father clearly as Michael.
Regards
annclare

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 June 13 13:32 BST (UK) »
note the sponsors for the three baptisms are all smiths.

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 June 13 13:43 BST (UK) »
Dathai
I hadn't spotted that about the sponsors  but I still see father's name  as Michael - however I have come across a number of baptisms with father's name confused with another sibling.  I just looked at the notes in Alicia's Baptism and it seems to say married Adam or Alan (can't quite make it out) Alexander in St Mary's Liverpool 1918 rest of date illegible.
annclare

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 June 13 13:49 BST (UK) »
Just checked Free BMDs and there is a civil marriage for an Alicia Fox to Adam Alexander in Liverpool District 8b 121. However I don't think this info is going to add much of use to the original query.
annclare

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 June 13 15:22 BST (UK) »
on irish genealogy there are several baptisms starting around 1876 for children of a james smith and mary shelley confirming the link that anneclare found for alice fox in 1901 census with the smith family.there are also a mary and margaret fox as sponsors.