Author Topic: 1851 Census Lookup Please!  (Read 18376 times)

Offline kpnut

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census Lookup Please!
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 01 January 15 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dod

Maybe it's getting late, but I'm getting a bit confused as to what you're actually saying in your message.

Not sure what your meant about the different matches and no matches

I agree that Sieg is more than likely a transcription error for Dieg (which should actually be Diey), but I'm a bit confused about the rest of it.

Regards
Karen

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Friday 02 January 15 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Karen,
     Sorry if I've confused you. I love the ScotlandsPeople website & use it a lot but searching Census Returns can be a nightmare. You can't add birth place to help with a search. Just Name, Age, County & District. There is a Second Person Forename box where you can add the forename of other family members in the household.  Just a forename, not any other information. Does not allow for name variations so spelling must be exact.
     Thanks to Monica's post Re: Anc**try transcription of 1851 Scotland Census, Leith, Midlothian, I knew the names & ages of all the family. After trying Sieg, Dey, Diey etc.
Surname: Dieg. Forename: Mary. Female. Age Range: 40-40. County: Midlothian. District: Leith, came up with 1 match. (ie. 1 person in Leith with that name & age) As a cross check I added each of the children's names in turn to the Second Person Forename box. Only with the name John added to Mary's details was there a match. (ie. Mary Dieg, age 40 with a person named John in the household. No-one named Alexander, James or Elizabeth in the household)
     I then tried John Dieg, Male. Age Range 22-22, Leith. That came up as 1 match. I added Mary to Second Person Forename box, still 1 match, but again, no matches with Alexander, James or Elizabeth added in turn to Second Person Forename box.
     Thinking this was a different family, I decided to search using the youngest child Elizabeth's details.
     Elizabeth Dieg, Female, Age Range 1-1, Leith came up with 1 match. Added Alexander then James in turn in the Second Person Forename box. Both came up as 1 match, but no matches when I tried Mary or John in Second Person box.
     Alexander Dieg, Male, Age Range 27-27, Leith, 1 match. James then Elizabeth added in turn to Second Person Forename box both came up as 1 match, but again, no matches when I tried Mary or John.
     James Dieg, Male, Age Range 12-12, Leith, 1 match. Alexander then Elizabeth added in turn to Second Person Forename box, both came up with 1 match, again no matches when I tried Mary or John.
     In other words, it looked like 2 families called Dieg in Leith. One with Mary age 40 & John age 22. The other with Alexander age 27, James age 12 & Elizabeth age 1yr.
     The answer to that was in the Anc**try 1851 Census transcription that Monica posted. Although all the family members are living at 2 Giles St, Leith, Household Schedule Number: 62, Mary & son John are listed on Page 13, Lines 18 & 19. Sons Alexander & James & daughter Elizabeth are listed on Page 14, Lines 1, 2 & 3. So, as I suspected, the family are listed on 2 different pages. That's why on ScotlandsPeople, Alexander, James & Elizabeth did not come up as a match when their names were added in the Second Person Forename box with Mary or John's details & visa versa.
     Must be something to do with Credits. Costs 6 Credits (1 for Index & 5 for Census) to view a page in the Census Returns. If the family are not all on that page then it costs another 5 Credits to view the next (or previous) page.
     Don't know if I've managed to make things clearer for you.
               Regards,     Dod.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 02 January 15 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Happy New year to you too, Dod  :)

Regarding the searches on Scotlands People for 1851, well done for figuring out that the household's entry is over two pages. Makes sense why I struggled when I did some of the searches you have explained above.

Karen, unlike searching and then viewing the original image for a census entry as do on Ancestry, for England for example, things are a little different when you have to use SP to view images of the censuses. As you know, Ancestry only have transcripts not the original image. Sometimes happens, as it seem to have now for this 1851 entry, that a household is split over two pages. On Ancestry, you simply click to view the next pape. On SP unfortunately, you pay to view per page (which has always been a pain  :-\).

Re my comments to do with this site www.whatsinaname.net/ - please ignore  :) I was just including the link to the site because I wanted you to see the wide range of variants that come up on first names. Some obvious, some less so. It can be tricky sometimes searching for someone when they interchange with a variant of their name and show that way in documents. It is just good to keep in mind.

So far for Thomas' mother's first name we have at least:

Magdalene/Maisie/Marie/Mause/Mass/Mas .....etc.!

I do think they are just a variant of the same name.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kpnut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 02 January 15 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that info Monica.  Your message came through just as I was replying to the one Dod sent.  His second message made more sense to me.

However, I just can't seem to get to grips with the SP site.  See the message I sent to Dod, re checking up on the marriage you found for me for Thomas Dye and Mary Gillespie.  I did the search and it came up saying NO MATCH.  This I MUST be doing SOMETHING wrong.

Any pointers?

Regards
Karen

Offline kpnut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 02 January 15 15:26 GMT (UK) »
LOL I didn't mean I was checking up on what you'd found for me, re. the marriage, just that I knew it was right and wanted to see if I could find it, and I couldn't.

Offline kpnut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 02 January 15 21:52 GMT (UK) »
It's all falling into place.

I've just found the baptism records for the children of Helen Dye (Thomas Dye and Mary Gillespie's daughter).

As you know she married James Veitch.  She must have been close to both her mother and step-mother, as her two daughters were baptised as:

Mary Gillespie Veitch born 2nd July 1865 and baptised on 5th November 1886 - and
Jeannie Cruickshanks Veitch born 19th August 1867 and baptised with her sister on 5th November 1886.

So, I think this certainly proves that Thomas was indeed married twice and that we have the correct marriages.

Just thought I'd let you all know.

Regards
Karen