Author Topic: Simon and Anne Dowling of Wicklow, Kildare and Dublin  (Read 9228 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Simon and Anne Dowling of Wicklow, Kildare and Dublin
« Reply #18 on: Monday 24 June 13 17:30 BST (UK) »
I wonder, now. The address for Simon Dowling (without paying Glasnevin) is 'Harbour', which doesn't sound likely. I don't know that this inner-city Dublin family would have been buried in Glasnevin necessarily....

Glasnevin is where most of the city burials would have taken place at that time. 'Harbour' may relate to Grand Canal Harbour which was near to James' Street and the locations mentioned on the two census returns for this family.

p.s. the c1890s OSI map shows the family's 1911 address of Long place, as being right beside Grand Canal Harbour - see : link
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Aglorgeolas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 24 June 13 17:52 BST (UK) »
Ah, very interesting! Thank you!

Edit: I wonder how that 'Long's Place' changed its name over subsequent maps. That harbour still existed on a 1920s map I have, but has disappeared underground in modern maps. The area where it was seems to be somewhere around all those religiously named streets between Rialto and Marrowbone Lane, as far as I can work it out (probably not very accurately!)

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 24 June 13 19:00 BST (UK) »
Incidentally, would anyone know if there's a list of National School teachers available?

I had some of them on-line for 1873. (and still have them off-line)

The Salary Books for National Teachers are available, (up to about 1918 anyway) in the National Archive in Dublin. They're a mine of information, and once you find a teacher, they can be followed on from year to year. They have to be ordered up the day before.

eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline Aglorgeolas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 24 June 13 21:06 BST (UK) »
This is great. There are several teachers I need to track.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 08:11 BST (UK) »
I wonder how that 'Long's Place' changed its name over subsequent maps. That harbour still existed on a 1920s map I have, ....

Long's place is still there, and located between James's Street and Marrowbone Lane.

see : Long's Place (google maps)

Most of the street has been redeveloped, but there is at least one older building on the southern end of the street that might date back to the time of the 1911 census.

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Aglorgeolas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 18:13 BST (UK) »
Went and got some birth, marriage and death certs. They were, as we thought, from the borderlands of Kildare and Wicklow, not far from Blessington. The father was described as 'labourer' on the death cert and daughter Elizabeth  as 'labourer's child'. I couldn't find a death cert for Katie, or a birth cert for Esther; there were two in the right-ish year, but both had different parents. The staff in the office told me that the efficiency of whether a birth, marriage or death is registered depends on who's doing the registering, so hospitals or doctors register deaths efficiently, and clergy register marriages efficiently, but in those days when children were generally born at home, the births were often not registered.