Author Topic: A death in Sandy.  (Read 4554 times)

Offline yorkshirelassie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A death in Sandy.
« on: Sunday 23 June 13 15:27 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me where burials took place for someone who died in Sandy in 1890.  My 3 x gt grandmother Jane Jeeves died on 5 Aug 1890.  I understand the local cemetery opened in 1891.  Where would the registers be held for burials before it's opening.
Clarke, Yorkshire
Donohoe, Co. Meath
McIntyre, Goulding, Mulhearn, Naughton, Bourke, Corrigan, Durkin, Co. Sligo and Co. Mayo.
Shakespeare, Davies, Shropshire.
Dean, Middlesex, Hampshire.

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
Re: A death in Sandy.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 July 13 13:04 BST (UK) »
Prior to the cemetary opening in 1891, burials would have taken place at the Church of St Swithin at Sandy.  There was also a Baptist Chapel (Not sure if burials took place there).

Bedfordshire Family History Society hold the parish record transcripts on microfiche 1538 - 1812.

Steve

**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline yorkshirelassie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 July 13 17:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that information Steve.  My problem is that she died in 1890 so the Family history transcripts would not help in this case.  But I appreciate you trying to help.
Clarke, Yorkshire
Donohoe, Co. Meath
McIntyre, Goulding, Mulhearn, Naughton, Bourke, Corrigan, Durkin, Co. Sligo and Co. Mayo.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 July 13 20:13 BST (UK) »
Sandy burials up to 1933 have been filmed by the LDS, so you can order the microfilm and view it at your nearest LDS Family History Centre. Alternatively the original register is held at BLARS in Bedford

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline yorkshirelassie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 July 13 08:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you David, that is very useful.  I will check where my nearest LDS centre is, not sure there is one near my home. 

Anne
Clarke, Yorkshire
Donohoe, Co. Meath

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 July 13 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hello;  Janes Jeeves was buried 8 Aug 1890 at Sandy, St Swithins age 97 (or it could be 87)

Regards john
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline yorkshirelassie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 July 13 11:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you John for that.  I did eventually get a reply from Biggleswade Library on this, and it seems no-one in the family knew how old she was.  Her death cert, informed by her granddaughter says she was 81, her burial says 97, she was baptised 26 Dec 1798, and a birth date was given for 4 Dec 1798, these we found on familysearch her maiden name being Foster , common enough but she and her female siblings were also given the middle name "Yarley", the maiden name of her mother.

I had a reply yesterday on the burial of Jane's husband Thomas Jeeves who died in 1871, which took place in Dunton.  Can you tell me if that would also have been a churchyard burial or was there a town/village cemetery at that date?

And one last query, do you know where or if burial plot references are recorded for the Bedfordshire cemeteries?  I hail from West Yorkshire and our local cemetery has the plot number and from that we have found many other relatives buried who we may not of otherwise known a connection with.
Clarke, Yorkshire
Donohoe, Co. Meath

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 12:06 BST (UK) »
I had a reply yesterday on the burial of Jane's husband Thomas Jeeves who died in 1871, which took place in Dunton.  Can you tell me if that would also have been a churchyard burial or was there a town/village cemetery at that date?

Dunton is quite a small village in Bedfordshire.  The burial is likely to have taken place at St Mary Magdalene Church, Chapel Lane or Church Lane, Dunton.

Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline yorkshirelassie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 12:31 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Steve for your reply re Dunton.

Anne
Clarke, Yorkshire
Donohoe, Co. Meath