Author Topic: Big Roumor about to be uncovered?  (Read 2311 times)

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Big Roumor about to be uncovered?
« on: Sunday 23 June 13 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi, would someone be able to help me find out weather or not the roumor is true. It has been circulating within the family for ages but know one actually knows what happened to him. The roumor was that the father Alfred G T SMITH left the family soon after the last son was born, The mother was left alone with a lodger, she then started dating this lodger and illegally changed all the childrens names from Temple-Smith to "Purcell" this was later found out to the children as the mother already had a child living with her and known who the real father was. He then told the children what their real fathers name was and some changed their names back to Temple-Smith but in respect of the father my great granddad took changed his name to his real dad and the person who had brought him up, he changed his name to Temple-Purcell. He have his children these names also. ALL THIS IS TURE.

But apparently the father of the children (who left the children, for what ever reason, maybe she cheated on him with this "Purcell" lodger because she seemed to have got with him SUPER quick. either way the rumour is the father Alfred G T SMITH remarried and had his own family in CANADA. I thought this was nonsense as I have never found any factual information or evidence to support this claim. I let this go for a good while without death certificates and without knowledge of what happened to him.

Today when I was searching his son "WALTER TEMPLE-SMITH" who had took his wife and daughter to Canada. It says on the record that he was going to Halifax, Canada. It also showed another bit of information that showed his contact in Canada was his father (temple-smith). It give his address at RR2 malton, Ontrio . The date he left was 3 Feb 1947. The date they come back to England was 20th Mar 1947. I was wondering with this newly found information, would someone be able to help me find any links to what might have happened to Alfred G T Smith who apparently went to Canada and started a new life over their.

Kindest Regards

Andrew

Ps; ALFRED G T SMITH (I believe he would have double barrelled his name to temple-smith as this is what normally happened in our family, he also used Temple Smith on the marriage to his first wife in England). His birth was 3 Mar 1873, Southampton, Hampshire, England. This would have made him around about 74 when his son Walter and his family visited him. Maybe he went over their for a funeral? this is the only bit of information I have on him. If you would like any more information please let me know and I will see what I can do.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Big Roumor about to be uncovered?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 June 13 16:49 BST (UK) »
The mother was left alone with a lodger, she then started dating this lodger and illegally changed all the childrens names from Temple-Smith to "Purcell"

It is not illegal to change a surname!
Provided you don't do it for deception or fraud, you can call yourself whatever you like. ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 June 13 18:29 BST (UK) »
Malton, Ontario would be part of the greater Toronto area now.  You could check the Toronto Star archived newspaper site (small fee but searching for possibilities free) for Temple Smith.  Site is under Pages of the Past.

The G. in Alfred's name stands for Graham (from other postings on the family).  He is with his wife and children in 1911 in England employed as a mechanical engineer for a motor tyre factory.  In 1914 another child is born to Alfred and Bessie (maiden name Salsibury).  This to try and put a timeframe to your query.

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/Pages/census.aspx
Sometime in the future - exact date unknown - the 1921 Canadian census will be released.  Perhaps your Alfred will appear on that.

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 June 13 18:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that bit of information. So I take it there is no way to see if there is or was a Alfred Graham Temple Smith that married anyone in Canada and started a new family?
Regards
Andrew

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 June 13 18:49 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast has an outgoing passenger?

1920  London to Sydney, Australia
Alfred Temple-Smith, born 1848
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 June 13 18:56 BST (UK) »
Perhaps this is another man with the same name, but
Infantry
Alfred G. T. Smith - Bedford Regt. - relinquished his commission due to "ill health". 1917
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0uts/
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 June 13 18:59 BST (UK) »
Seems way to earlie as my Alfred Temple-Smith was born 1873. Might be to do with another Temple-Smith later on in the family though. Thanks for that look up.

Thanks lisa, this possibly could be related. How would we try and see if this is the same person? He did have his children in Bedfordshire, England. The last child he had was born 1914, Bedfordshire, England

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 June 13 19:09 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure how to follow up with English military records, as all of my ancestors were in Ontario, Canada by 1870.   :-\

However, I've located another possibility, but the year of birth is incorrect.  Perhaps it is just someone with middle names such as George Thomas:
Passenger List
Alfred G T Smith, born c1883, arrived 1933.  Birth country was England.  Port of Arrival:  Victoria, British Columbia.  [I cannot view additional details.]
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 June 13 19:13 BST (UK) »
hmm.. I shall have a look up for a military record for the English as I am from England lol. thanks for the other possibility every little bit of information helps as other people maybe able to look more indetail into it and help unravel this storyline. Its very much appericated  for the people who have taken time to help me with this.

Regards
Andrew