Author Topic: 1937 Adoption  (Read 3721 times)

Offline shoshannah

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1937 Adoption
« on: Monday 24 June 13 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have a relative whos mother died in childbirth in 1937 and was subsequently adopted, along with several other of the children.

Any ideas how I can find out what happened to this person, with only a birth certificate? They were in Cambridgeshire at the time.

Thanks,
Shosh

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1937 Adoption
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 June 13 20:09 BST (UK) »
You need to get onto the Adoption Contact Register.

See: https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 June 13 09:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Shosh

If you know the family name they were adopted into, there should be a record in the General Register Office's Adopted Children's index. You could then apply for a copy of that certificate for more information on the parents. They may have been adopted by another branch of the family.

Without the name though, the contact register is one way to go but it does cost and there is no guarantee of success. They have to be looking for thier birth family also.

What happened to their father?

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline shoshannah

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 June 13 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn,

I don't know the family names - I know a few of the children went to Dr Barnardos (which I think are childrens homes?) I've looked on their website, and you have to be the closest living relative for their records. I am A relative but have no idea who their closest would be. The youngest was adopted as a baby but I only know his first name and middle initial. His name could of course have been changed.

The father could not afford to keep all of the children so the eldest who were working stayed with him ( i think), the middle children were sent as housemaids to rich families that were known to them, and the youngest were fostered/ adopted.