Author Topic: NZ to UK 1950s Lookup  (Read 2185 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: NZ to UK 1950s Lookup
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 21:07 BST (UK) »
It does actually say that she is a Canadian Citizen as shown by her passport and that her last place of residence was Canada. I wonder if the information on the passenger list is wrong.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sharren1837

• RootsChat Senior
  • Time cannot change what went before
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 21:32 BST (UK) »
when she travels to NZ in 1957 her occupation is listed as S. R. Nurse @ Staincliffe Gen. Hospital, Dewsbury with a UK Passport????  i dont know what her purpose was for visiting NZ or when she returned to the UK. 

Sharren
BALDRIDGE: Yorks, BARNWELL: Warwicks & Yorks, CARASS: Yorks, DENT: Durham, Lewisham & Yorks, GIBSON: Pontefract & Yorks, SAWBRIDGE: Leicester & Yorks, WALTON: Yorks, WEBSTER: Yorks, YOUNG: Yorks.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 21:57 BST (UK) »
I cant find any record of her going to Canada either. From those records it looks as if she went to Canada, came back to England and then went to NZ the following year. Passenger lists stop after 1960, so she may have returned from NZ after that.

Could she have been sent to Canada as an evacuee at the start of WW2 and stayed on there after the war? Although she would have been 16 in 1939.

Offline sharren1837

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 22:14 BST (UK) »
hadnt considered the possibility of her being sent to Canada as an evacuee?  she spent some/most/all ?  of her childhood in a catholic orphanage so i guess evacuation could have been a possibilty.

Lots to think about.

BALDRIDGE: Yorks, BARNWELL: Warwicks & Yorks, CARASS: Yorks, DENT: Durham, Lewisham & Yorks, GIBSON: Pontefract & Yorks, SAWBRIDGE: Leicester & Yorks, WALTON: Yorks, WEBSTER: Yorks, YOUNG: Yorks.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just putting another needle into the haystack .... perhaps she travelled out on the ship working in the ship's hospital. :-\

Cheers
KHP

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 22:35 BST (UK) »
hadnt considered the possibility of her being sent to Canada as an evacuee?  she spent some/most/all ?  of her childhood in a catholic orphanage so i guess evacuation could have been a possibilty.

Lots to think about.

Quite a few children were sent out to Canada from orphanages under The British Home Child scheme. I wonder if that is how she got out there and therefore had a Canadian Passport?  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~britishhomechildren/

and

http://canadianbritishhomechildren.weebly.com/

Offline sharren1837

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Kiwi,

do you mean on the evacuee ships to canada? i guess thats possible, she would be 16 as groom says but i believe UK school leaving age was 14 then & i think she began training in nursing early on.

Hi Groom,

She would be 23 in 1946 & my grandmother was in touch with her in 1950 (she was pregnant with my mum) but im not sure whether this was by letter or in person.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Kiwi,

do you mean on the evacuee ships to canada? i guess thats possible, she would be 16 as groom says but i believe UK school leaving age was 14 then & i think she began training in nursing early on.

No, in 1957 and being paid for it while she was working.  Nurses pay back then wasn't great I think, it would have taken a while to save up for the voyage .... just tossing my thoughts out :D

Cheers
KHP

Offline sharren1837

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Kiwi,

i guess thats possible, although she had inherited a large sum of money upon my ggrandmothers death in 1951. she did like the finer things in life, so its quite possible. nothing seems to make much sense at the moment.

Sharren