Author Topic: information needed of two bargee families please  (Read 4401 times)

Offline AliIsoMar

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
information needed of two bargee families please
« on: Wednesday 26 June 13 23:26 BST (UK) »
looking for any members { living or deceased}of the green and james families  around the staffordshire and warwickshire areas who lived on the canals
Canal Families: James, Green, Wenlock. Fradley, Wood, Higgins, Eaden, Harrison, Jenkinson Hollinshead, Coulton, Caswell, Boswell and Bird.

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: information needed of two bargee families please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 July 13 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hello
Right where to start as both these family's tie into other canal family's
 as I have it as far as known this is correct but we can all make mistakes & I don't have all details

Philip John James son of John Philip& Sarah (Mammett) was born on 18th July1834 in Tewkesbury & died 5/2/1919 in Sandbach buried @ st. Peters 11/10/1860 married Ellen Wenlock daughter of Thomas & Maria. Philip was christened 6 8/1834 in Tewksbury & was employed as a canal boatman.
children of Philip & Ellen
Alice James christened 23/7/1865 @ st Marks
John James christened 17/12/1871 @ Tipton
George James christened 26/3/1876 @ Brentford
Ellen James christened in 1879 @ Hayes
Clara James christened 27/4/1862 Louisa James born 1863 in Weston & married Edwin Burton
Thomas james married Alice Jenkins Hollingshead
Emily James
Eliza James born around 1865
Henry James born 1874 @ married Maria green on5 9/1898 @ Brierly hill
Arthur born 1880

Offline AliIsoMar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 July 13 20:36 BST (UK) »
my 2x great grandmother was maria green bn 1875 hanley staffs { married henry james bn 1874}
 daughter of maria harris bn 1843-died 1895{ daughter of thomas harris bn 1818- died 1871 and margaret woodward bn 1817- died 1861, granddaugther of william harris bn 1790} and henry green bn 1835-died 1895 { son of priscillia crockford bn 1815{{daugther of john crockford and martha satchwell bn 1779- died 1853}}and henry green bn 1811{{ son of amy french and thomas green}} }
sister of henry green bn 1873-died1948{ married to sarah harrison bn 1873-died 1939 daughter off george harrison bn 1832- died 1876 and mary ann northwood bn 1836}

Canal Families: James, Green, Wenlock. Fradley, Wood, Higgins, Eaden, Harrison, Jenkinson Hollinshead, Coulton, Caswell, Boswell and Bird.

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 July 13 21:56 BST (UK) »
George Harrison who was married to Mary Ann Northwood was the brother to my G Granddad Allen Harrison who married Ann Clegg.
So am I right you are from the Green line that links into the Caswell through Sarah Ellen Green who married William George Caswell?
 Sarah Ellen was the daughter to Sarah Harrison & Henry Green. Sarah Ellen & William George Caswell I believe had children Irene Margret , George Henry & Edna may.
It all gets a little confusing from there on as a huge row broke out with a Caswell family member closing his web site down & accusing Kerry of stealing all his family tree & photos years of hard work & said she had claimed to be her work. if you go back far enough into the first canal boatman thread all will be revieled on how the Harrison family tree after 5 generations split . also might be able to make contact with Gerald Caswell I have info covering the Caswell line & also some photos but as it was never clear who the info belonged to Iv no intent of opening another can of family worms.

Offline AliIsoMar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 July 13 22:14 BST (UK) »
my 2x great grandmother maria green would be the aunt of sarah ellen green
and my great grandmother ellen luckman{ nee james} would be her cousin

Offline spellweaver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 September 13 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi there
Mary Ann Northwood was the daughter of Joseph Northwood and Sarah Turner, married 5/3/1834 at St Peters in Wolverhampton.  She seems to have been the only child of the couple.  Joseph's sister Hannah married Stephen Underhill, another bargeman, and his other sister Tryphena married Richard Seymour (these are my GGGGrandparents).  Sarah Harrison, sister of George, married John Seymour, eldest son of Richard and Tryphena.
Northwood family were from Wombourne.
Would love to hear from anyone else with canal boat ancestors.

Offline WOLVERHAMPTON HIGGS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 October 19 20:53 BST (UK) »
I have ancestors who lived on the Canal in Wombourne, nr Wolverhampton.

Steven Underhill (1799-1838) married Sarah Bowater (1799-1825). He was a boatman and the Bowater's were also a canal family.
They had a daughter Mary Ann Underhill in 1821, who married William Rushbury and then lived in Wolverhampton.
Also a son Edward, who stayed on the canal and is captured in Census's living at Crescent Wharf in Birmingham in 1851 and at "No. 14, Boat on the Canal" in Wombourne in 1881.

If anyone knows anything about the Underhill's or Bowater's please get in touch.                                                                

Offline spellweaver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 October 19 23:39 BST (UK) »
I think Stephen Underhill's first wife died, and he then married Hannah Northwood.  Would be interested to know more about Edward Underhill later.  Hannah's sister Tryphena is my Great however many times grandmother.

Offline WOLVERHAMPTON HIGGS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 October 19 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Spellweaver, yes when Sarah died her two children were only 5 years and 1 year old.
I did not know that Stephen remarried. Thank you for that information. I descend from Stephen Underhill (GGGG Grandad) and Sarah, then his daughter Mary Ann (GGG Grandmother).

Did Stephen have children with Hannah do you know?