Author Topic: William Potter  (Read 6821 times)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: William Potter
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 June 13 21:48 BST (UK) »
Does your Potter family have any connection to Gypsy Lane, Northampton? There is a William T. Potter (20, farmer) who was listed with returning harvesters on the Metagama which arrived in Southampton on 28 Dec 1928.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Avril-14

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 June 13 04:32 BST (UK) »
Hello again
Many many thanks for all the information.
Jacqui, I know for definite that William came from Glamorgan. Before emigration he lived in the street and the house opposite to where I was born, with his mother(my grandmother) and brothers and sisters.

RK thanks for the link that you have posted I will look at that. All the information re Charles Hippard (William's)cousin is with Bill Buchanan. Bill and I have corresponded quite a bit in the past.  Unfortunately he didn't know anything of William.

Now Valeriec.  I think we may be getting warmer. William's fathers name was SAMUEL. Samuel Potter died in WW1. If anyone wants photos of Samuel's grave I am more than welcome to share.
I will have a look at the death indexes. So I am wondering if on the death notice that they meant William was now with his father.

It seems that there are many surnames in my family that are like needles in the haystack.  Jones in Wales and Woods and Collins in Ireland.
Agai mnay many thanks for the help
Cheers
Avril x
Harper, Potter, Jones, Alcock, Woods, Martin, Thomas, Jenkins.
England, Ireland, Wales

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 June 13 06:22 BST (UK) »
A family tree I saw posted at Ancestry has at least one of William's siblings dying in England which is why I asked if there was any possible connection to Northampton. I wasn't suggesting he was born there.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

Offline Avril-14

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 June 13 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi there Jacquie

sorry if I have offended you, I didn't mean to. I know that there is a tree on ancestry which was put on by my cousin's wife with all the information that I have given her but guess what it is minus one of Williams brothers, my father!!.
I would just like to say many thanks again for helping, I really am most grateful.
Cheers
Avril x
Harper, Potter, Jones, Alcock, Woods, Martin, Thomas, Jenkins.
England, Ireland, Wales

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 01 July 13 02:06 BST (UK) »
You didn't offend me. I thought you misunderstood what I was asking. Since some of the Potter family lived in England I was trying to find out if it was possible that your William T. Porter had relatives or friends in Northamptonshire that he may have gone to see rather than return directly to Wales.

Jacquie