Author Topic: John Meredith  (Read 14211 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: John Meredith
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
Sorry to be a disappointment, but none of it rings a bell; there is no connection to the John Meredith in our family tree.  Best of luck with your search.
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hedghill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 01 May 14 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hello
I am researching Meredith's.  My great grandmother was Elizabeth Ann Meredith, born Aberystwyth to a James Meredith and Harriet (nee Hughes).  I believe James was the son of John Meredith  a Horstler.  My daughter has my census records but John born Berrew if I remember and James Birstmorton, others in like Sydney I think in Ledbury; are in the census locations and it looks like we may be looking at the same people.

Cheers

Hugh

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 02 May 14 07:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Hugh
When your census records become available it would be interesting to compare with my notes.

Cheers, Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Offline hedghill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Roy,

On the 1851 Census for Aberystwyth living in Druid Village:

(Druid Village is/was part of the Melindwr township in the parish of Llanbadarn fawr.)

John Meredith aged 32 or is it 33? Head born Berrow Herefordshire Occ: Horstler
Hannah aged 35 born Worcestershire Wife
James Meredith aged 10 born Birstsmorton spelled Birsts-Molton Herefordshire
Edward J Meredith aged 7 born Worcestershire son
Sydney Meredith aged 4 born Ledbury Herefordshire
William Bibbs aged 15, Servant, Horstler born (can't make out where but looks like Millinstonheath?  )

James aged 10 later married Harriet Hughes in Aberystwyth.

Cheers

Hugh

Cheers

Hugh

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Hugh
Its been some time since I have worked on my wife's 'Fish' ancestors but it does appear we are searching the same Meredith line.  My wife's great grandfather Henry Fish married Hannah Meredith, daughter of John Meredith.  The details you posted re:1851 is exactly what I have on file. 

Regards, Roy

Offline hedghill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Roy,

That's great.

Did you manage to trace John's parents?
In that 1851 census living with them is a "Bibbs" and using that I attempted to look back using both family names.
Below is a message I put out some time ago but got no further.

http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/surnames.bibbs/8.19.1.1/mb.ashx

My message in the above link:
"I am researching my Meredith line in the area around/in Ledbury. On a 1851 census there is a John Bibbs aged 9, grandson, living with John Meredith and his wife Priscilla Meredith.

My interest is that I have a James Meredith, born in Birstmoloton and his father was John Meredith (this John may be the son of Priscilla and John above), a Horsetler, born in Berrow both near Ledbury.

The reason for my interest is that John and JAmes later moved to Aberystwyth, Cardiganshire and there in 861 there is also a John Bibbs born Ledbury, a coachman,with his wife Margaret.

Also on the 1851 census in Druid Village nearAberystwyth living with John Meredith and his wife Hannah and sons James, Edward and Sydney is a William Bibbs aged 15 occupation Horsetler.

So from the apparent links between Meredith and Bibbs in the above records I am trying to trace if John and Priscilla are the parents of John Meredith and grandparents of James Meredith.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hi not certain if you have/need this, but this looks like William Bibbs in 1841:-

John Bibbs 30
Ann 25
Wm 5
John 4
James 1
Residing at Homend Street, Ledbury
Census ref HO107/332/ 425/44 / 30

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hedghill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 15:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Keyboard86

Will keep that in mind.  It's a remote possibility the Bibbs connection to my Meredith search.  Grasping at straws at the moment.

Cheers

Hugh

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hugh
I'm afraid not: I have John Meredith aged 20, Ostler, on the 1841 @ Rye Street, Birtsmorton; with Hannah aged 25 and 9 month old James.  Researching both sides of our family means there are many branches and I tend to work on one at a time until I hit a brick wall, then move on to the next.  To locate any details of John's father would mean a search of the old parish records.

There is a John Bibbs family tree on Ancestry, born 1841 Ledbury married to a Margaret ? born 1838 Aberystwyth.  This couple had two sons, John William and Eleazer and one daughter Catherine.  This John Bibbs fits in nicely with the details from Keyboard. 
Roy