Author Topic: liverpool marriage.  (Read 7284 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: liverpool marriage.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 June 13 23:30 BST (UK) »
Here is Robert's baptism:

St Augustine's 7th January 1878 born 22 December 1877 - Robert parents Thomas and Mary -godparent Mary Ann Power  (names all in Latin though)

and at the same church
11th September 1875 born 5th September 1875 Thomas parents Thomas and Mary
godparent Mary Concannon

in both these cases, Mary is transcribed as 'Tower'.

I give the godparents to see if they help but so far - no  :(
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 July 13 07:35 BST (UK) »
So - are we saying that Robert - although born in Garston 22nd dec 1877- is baptised in St Augustines church,Everton - 7th jan 1888 ?....Garston to Everton is about 9 miles ...
marriage index for St Augustine - no Davies /Power marriage there
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hibernia/disk001/mar/augmar.htm

I will have a scout around for a marriage ....obviously Roman Catholic -
added - no joy on marriage
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 July 13 07:53 BST (UK) »
are we missing something here ?
Could Mary Power have been a previously  married surname ?
could her marriage to Thomas have been her Second marriage ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Red Tom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 July 13 08:04 BST (UK) »
Good morning Alan, no,you're on the right track,(the confusion is an old one which I've encountered previously) for St Augustine's, read St Austin's,Grassendale/Garston) this has been discussed previously on here, the Everton thing had me puzzled for quite a while, but the Garston link is the one!!
Thank you Heywood,I've also encountered the Power/Tower transcription error before.
Thomas jnr died young (as the family story bears out), the godparent names could help possibly, Concannon not so much perhaps, but Mary Ann Power I'm assuming to be the mother's sister-in-law?
I did say when I began this thread that it was tricky!!
Calland/Campbell/Pilkington/Wignall/Varley/Briscoe

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 01 July 13 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hello again Alan, I've got Mary and her children in 1881, the first four being born in L/pool, and the youngest in Garston. Mary is Head of household , as by now she is widowed. I've posted previously in an attempt to discover about her husband, but I only recently got Robert's birth cert, so it's the marriage I'm trying to follow so as to discover more re Thomas the husband,but I can find no sight in my feeble efforts so far.

Hiya Tom - does the 1881 census include Thomas Jnr - or had he already passed away by then ?
if he was still alive and died a little later - could he be buried in St Austins churchyard ?...I am only 2 bus stops away from St Austins - I could walk up and have a look if you like
allan

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 July 13 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom

Can I just be clear - do you already have all this information that I have posted and spent a long time searching for ?
Regards
Heywood

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 01 July 13 09:37 BST (UK) »
Heywood did you notice in St Josephs the baptism after Elizabeth Davis is a child of Catherine Stafford and her husband,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 01 July 13 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Radcliff,

yes I had seen that and I know at some point I looked for Catherine Stafford  ::)
I notice  that their child's godmother is Mary Jones. I have been trying to see if Mary Davies is a godmother to anyone with a familiar surname  :)

thanks
heywood

Addded: There is a James and Kate Stafford both born Ireland living in Bevington Bush in 1871. (Interesting  because of the song  :) )
Would that be the right area for St Joseph's, Allan?

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 01 July 13 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hiya Tom - does the 1881 census include Thomas Jnr - or had he already passed away by then ?
if he was still alive and died a little later - could he be buried in St Austins churchyard ?...I am only 2 bus stops away from St Austins - I could walk up and have a look if you like
allan

Allan,
Liverpool History Projects shows a burial in St Austins:
Thomas Davies 13 yrs November 1888

http://www.liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk/liverpoolrcburials/staustin.htm

heywood