Author Topic: Sarah Jane Robson  (Read 4499 times)

Offline diroka

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Jane Robson
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 June 13 01:36 BST (UK) »
Yes, I noticed the baptism just as I posted. How did you know to look for Sarah with Sophia? Curious, I guess. I tried looking up Susannah Strugnell and never found that 1851 census. Would Sophia's marriage license give me more answers?
And do you think that the Greatham burial record would be hers? or should I look other places?
I am usually good at finding links but not good at this type of posting, as you can see.
Thanks again.
Kathy

Offline diroka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 June 13 01:47 BST (UK) »
And is it possible to find a will for James Robson or Sophia Strugnell? would it be worth the time spent?
Kathy

Offline JayG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 July 13 20:26 BST (UK) »
Yes, I noticed the baptism just as I posted. How did you know to look for Sarah with Sophia? Curious, I guess. I tried looking up Susannah Strugnell and never found that 1851 census. Would Sophia's marriage license give me more answers?
And do you think that the Greatham burial record would be hers? or should I look other places?
I am usually good at finding links but not good at this type of posting, as you can see.
Thanks again.
Kathy

What answers are you wanting from Sophia's marriage cert?

What are the details on her death cert and those on the burial?  Didmshe die at Greatham?

Cheers
Jay

Offline JayG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 July 13 20:29 BST (UK) »
And is it possible to find a will for James Robson or Sophia Strugnell? would it be worth the time spent?
Kathy

If your opening post you mention James Robson's will, have you not already got a copy of it?

Sophia doesn't appear in the probate index so she didn't leave a will.

Cheers
Jay

Offline diroka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 01:47 BST (UK) »
James Robson mentioned Sarah Jane in his coastguard pension, which I found online.  Probate records, according to ancestry.com, has little money being left and her husband, John William was executor; less than 100 pounds. I would send for the will, but have no idea where to send for it.  If Sophia is her mother, then James Robson would be listed on her birth  or baptismal record as her father and then I could prove or disprove who her mother is, as well. I have a possible mother but without a birth record I cannot prove it. I couldn't find a will for William Strugnell either.
This is once again getting exciting.
Kathy

Offline diroka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 01:57 BST (UK) »
Burials, Hartlepool District - Record Number: 654191.2 (Durham Records Online)
Church: St. John the Baptist
Denomination: Anglican
27 Sep 1902 Sarah Jane Stainthorp, of Greatham, age: 73, plot B19A

Her death certificate lists her cause of death as carcinoma, hepatis. J. G. Armstrong, son-in-law, is present at her death. Her husband is listed as John Willliam Stainthorp, tailor, (master) (retired). She was 67 years old. Her death was 24 Sept 1902. [Note: discrepancy between ages of death certificate and the burial record I found. One says 67; the other 73. Not sure if burial record is hers, but fits the area and the death date]

There is a headstone at St John the Baptist, Greatham,  in the actual churchyard, that lists Sarah Jane Stainthorp and her husband, John William Stainthorp.
Do they fit? other than age?
Kathy

Offline JayG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 22:13 BST (UK) »
Burials, Hartlepool District - Record Number: 654191.2 (Durham Records Online)
Church: St. John the Baptist
Denomination: Anglican
27 Sep 1902 Sarah Jane Stainthorp, of Greatham, age: 73, plot B19A

Her death certificate lists her cause of death as carcinoma, hepatis. J. G. Armstrong, son-in-law, is present at her death. Her husband is listed as John Willliam Stainthorp, tailor, (master) (retired). She was 67 years old. Her death was 24 Sept 1902. [Note: discrepancy between ages of death certificate and the burial record I found. One says 67; the other 73. Not sure if burial record is hers, but fits the area and the death date]

There is a headstone at St John the Baptist, Greatham,  in the actual churchyard, that lists Sarah Jane Stainthorp and her husband, John William Stainthorp.
Do they fit? other than age?
Kathy

Apart for the difference in age the other details match so I would say the burial you have is for your Sarah.

Jay

Offline JayG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 22:19 BST (UK) »
James Robson mentioned Sarah Jane in his coastguard pension, which I found online.  Probate records, according to ancestry.com, has little money being left and her husband, John William was executor; less than 100 pounds. I would send for the will, but have no idea where to send for it.  If Sophia is her mother, then James Robson would be listed on her birth  or baptismal record as her father and then I could prove or disprove who her mother is, as well. I have a possible mother but without a birth record I cannot prove it. I couldn't find a will for William Strugnell either.
This is once again getting exciting.
Kathy

It will cost £6 for a copy of the will, details and a form to complete can be found here

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/probate/copies-of-grants-wills

If you get Sophia and William marriage cert James Robson should be listed as her father.  We have her age and place of birth from the census so we should be able to find a baptism to confirm her mother's name etc.

Cheers
Jay

Offline diroka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 03 July 13 01:32 BST (UK) »
I will send for the will. Thanks.  Is there a link to the Shoreham, Sussex area for baptismal records?
And what made you look for Sophia as Sarah Jane's mother?
Kathy