Author Topic: Benfieldside Cemetry Consett  (Read 5372 times)

Offline Vb16

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Benfieldside Cemetry Consett
« on: Sunday 30 June 13 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am a new member and am looking for some help about the old cemetry in Benfieldside Consett Co. Durham. The one behid the two disused Chapels. I have obtained the burial records for my brother who died in 1960 and he is buried in the consecrated part of the cemetry in grave number 191. I have visited the cemetry and the plan posted outside shows only section numbers. There are only a few headstones which do not help. I know from other posts that there may be someone with a plan showing the layout of the graves and I would appreciate any help in finding the section where my brother is.

Offline pb3

• RootsChat Member
  • 'Always look on the bright side...'
    • View Profile
Re: Benfieldside Cemetry Consett
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 July 13 21:03 BST (UK) »
Vb16

I have done a search of the Burial records and cannot find a burial for anyone in any Section of Benfieldside cemetery in a plot numbered 191 in 1960.

Plot numbers are not specific to any particular Section. Each Section has its plots numbered from 1 up to the last plot in that Section: depending on the size of the Section the total can vary from several hundreds to over 1000.

If you can provide your brother's name, age, date of death and any other details I'll check through the burial records and see if he is to be found.

PatB.

Offline pb3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 12:41 BST (UK) »
Vb16

I think an apology is in order on my part. When I did the search of the Burial Records last night I was looking for plot 191; because the search mechanism is very literal minded that was exactly what it looked for - and found nothing in the year 1960.

This morning - because you seem very sure of the year - I thought I would do a manual, record by record search of the records for 1960. I've attached a PDF showing two burials in plot 191A and 191B in Section E of the Old (South) graveyard. It is still a "blind" search since you did not mention any name in your post. I've also attached a PDF showing the layout of the Sections in the graveyard.

I don't have a detailed plan of the plot layout for Section E but, if you contact the Derwentside Burial Section through Durham County Council, they will mark any relevant plot for you. If you took a photograph of the notice board outside the South graveyard it will have the contact details.

I hope this information is of help.

PatB.

Offline Vb16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 16:38 BST (UK) »
To pb3
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my post. As I already had the burial records I did not think to post the name and date of death. My brother was Brian William Smith. In the handwritten records I have, the EOG is all in capitals and I did not know this referred to Section E. Do you know what the og stands for? I have written to the County Council as suggested and will let you know what I learn from them.

Offline pb3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 20:43 BST (UK) »
     EOG or Eog simply means Section E old graveyard. The South or Old Graveyard was opened in 1862 and all of the Sections were identified alphabetically - A,B,C etc.

Rather than go into a lot of detail here I've attached a PDF showing information about the Burial Records which I gleaned while compiling the database for the first 100 years of the records. Page 4 has a detailed explanation of the way in which the Section identity works, including the alpha-numeric identification of some of the plot numbers - which I inadvertently overlooked when compiling my first post - mea culpa once again.

Good luck with your research.

PatB

Offline Vb16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 July 13 16:54 BST (UK) »
To pb3

Just thought you would like to know the Council have placed a stake on my brother's grave in Section E. I intend to have a permanent marker put on it in the near future and I have their consent to this. Thank you very much for all your help. My mother died very recently and it is only now I have been able to do any research into his death and where he was buried.