Author Topic: John Swarbreck  (Read 552 times)

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Swarbreck
« on: Sunday 30 June 13 18:43 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out more about the John Swarbreck who married Esther Wood on 29th Dec 1830 at St Peter's Leeds. The couple went on to have four children: Frances in 1831; Richard in 1835[d. 1837]; Ann in 1837 and Thomas in 1839 - all in Leeds. I have the records of their baptisms.

I have not found them in 1841. I know about their subsequent history.

Esther - described as a widow - married John Hargrave in 1842.

I can not find any death registration for John Swarbreck, but he presumably must have died between 1838 and 1842.

I think he may be the same John Swarbreck who was baptised on 18th October 1807 at Halifax, the son of Ralph and Frances Swarbreck - but I have no proof of this - other than the fact that Ralph and Frances were married in Leeds at St Peters and their first child was baptised there, and that John named his first child Frances.

If anyone can find either details of John Swarbreck's death or anything that definitely connects him to Ralph and Frances I would be very grateful.

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Swarbreck
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 June 13 19:04 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this was Esther and two sons in 1841? Living at Manns?? Court, Duke Street Leeds.  All born in County, but no occupation is given. 

Esther Swabeck    30
Frances Swabeck 9
Thomas Swabeck 1

Kay

HO107 piece 1347 folio 1/5 page 4

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 June 13 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

The baptism of son Thomas born 26 Sept. 1839 baptised 13 Oct. 1839 states his parentage as 'the late John' and of Esther, of Duke Street, which matches the census Kay99 has found. So John has died 1838-1839.

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 June 13 19:14 BST (UK) »
There is a John Swabrick born about 1808 who was buried on 26 August 1838 at St Peters Leeds.

viz Q/E Sep 1838 Leeds Reg Dist.

June
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 June 13 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

That's got to be him the burial record gives his address as Duke Street, like the census and the baptism record. Going back to the baptism record to check the dates, or Thomas may not have been John's child if he was born the following September.

claire.

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 June 13 22:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you all - I tried different spellings but not leaving out both "r"s!

I think that you have solved the mystery of John's death and the whereabouts of Esther and the surviving children in 1841.

The burial record giving a birth year of about 1808 would tend to confirm that John was the son of Ralph and Frances - baptised in 1807.

As to whether he was the father of Thomas - that is certainly open to doubt. If John was buried in August 1838 then he could not have been the father of Thomas who was born on 21st September 1839. However I suspect that Esther's second husband was the father - he was John Hargraves and Thomas was recorded as Hargraves in 1851 and also used the name subsequently - although he also used the Swarbreck surname. He had a very complicated life!

Thank you all again

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1