Author Topic: On this day in July.....tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries  (Read 22796 times)

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: On this day in July.....tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 13:51 BST (UK) »
On 9 July 1819 my 4 x great grandmother, Catherine Childs, died in Kempston, Bedfordshire, aged 56.  She was married to Samuel Crowsley and as far as I know they had four children.
Conquest, Crowsley, Giovannelli, Kingham, Marshall, Sewell, Wilson, Ashwell

Online Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 14:03 BST (UK) »
July 9th

In 1949 my parents got married at St Mary's Church Cheadle Cheshire

The marriage lasted nearly 62 years untill my Dad, Trevor Douglas Wainwright, died in 2011 at the age of 88. My Mum is, however, still fit and well at the age of 88 :)
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Online nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 10 July 13 12:20 BST (UK) »
3 ancestral arrivals today........and a nephew!

A 2nd cousin 1R, Samuel Christopher Ralph, born in Hackney in 1888;  son of Mark and Isabella (nee Read). On 1911 census he is shown as "stockkeeper, fancy goods".  In 1920 he married Mary Dover; one son was born but he died aged 11 years.  Samuel died in 1951 in London and is buried in Islington Cemetery; where his son was also buried.  Mary died the following year.

A 3xgt. aunt, Mary Gandy was born in London in 1832;  daughter of Jabez/James and Elizabeth (nee Newman).  Mary married John Slack in St. Bartholomew, Moor Lane in 1860 but then I lose track of her.

My 2xgt. grandfather, Charles George Pain was born in Woolwich in 1830;  son of John and Elizabeth (not found their marriage yet). Charles was a ships joiner then a carpenter for several years. He married Mary Jane Ottley in 1850 at East Wickham,Kent.  Ten children were born.  Mary died in August 1894 and 6 weeks later Charles remarried in Southampton! 1891 census shows him living apart from Mary so perhaps a quick remarriage was not surprising. He died in 1916 and is buried in Woolwich Cemetery. He left just over £1,600.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 11 July 13 09:24 BST (UK) »
Three more birthdays:

A 3xgt. aunt Elizabeth Pain, born in 1823 in Woolwich;  daughter of John and Elizabeth (still looking for their marriage). Sadly Elizabeth died in 1825 and was buried at St. Mary Magdalene, Woolwich.

A gt. uncle, Charles Joseph Pain, born in 1887 in Plumstead;  son of James Ottley and Amelia Sophia (nee Rainer). Charles died in 1888 and is buried in Plumstead cemetery.

My 4xgt. grandfather, Edward Kingsman born in 1781 in London;  son of William and Jane (nee Hird). Edward was an ivory turner, as were many of the Kingsman family, and he married Susanna Leviston in 1804 at St Andrews, Holborn.   I've found 12 children born to the couple. Edward died in 1844, four years after Susanna, and they were both buried at Spa Fields Burial Ground.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 12 July 13 10:05 BST (UK) »
On July 12th 1893 my great great grandfather James Stein died in Stirling. He was born in Linlithgow and had been a shoemaker by trade. He was also as far as I can see, the first family member to use the spelling Stein instead of Steen for his surname. The informant was his nephew-in-law and though he seems to have been aware of the background of the family he married into was a bit mixed up as he gives Isabella Scott as the mother of James when in fact she was his mother-in-law.

On 12th July 1743 my 5xG grandmother Mary Ingles was born. Her parents were living near Woodcockdale just south of Linlithgow and she was baptized in Linlithgow on the 24th.

On 12th July 1768 my 4xG grandparents Robert Tweedie and Margaret Somerville married in Carstairs. I know Robert's lineage but Margaret is all possibles and probables at the moment.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 12 July 13 13:17 BST (UK) »
On 12 July 1841 my first cousin 3 x removed, Martha Conquest, was born in Bedford, Bedfordshire.  She and her siblings emigrated to the USA in 1853 with their parents Josiah and Martha (nee Brampton). 

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 13 July 13 17:37 BST (UK) »
13 July

In 1786 my 5 x great grandfather Samuel Crowsley was born in Kempston, Bedfordshire.

In 1829 Josiah Conquest, my 2 x g.g. uncle, married Martha Brampton at St John the Evangelist, Westminster, London. They emigrated to the USA with their children, arriving in New York in May 1853, and settling in Genesee, Michigan.

In 1897, my second cousin 1 x removed, Theresa Minnie Rogers,married Edward Richard Lamb, a stoker at a gas works, at St. John, Upper Holloway, London.

Finally, today is my husband's birthday!

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 14 July 13 12:12 BST (UK) »
On 14 July 1829 my 1st cousin 3 x removed, Thomas Conquest was born.  Various sources state that he was born in Bedford, but as his parents, Josiah and Martha, were married the day before in London (as I mentioned yesterday) this seems unlikely.  His younger siblings were born in Bedfordshire, so it is an understandable assumption.  Thomas never married and died in Genesee, Michigan in 1911.

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 14 July 13 18:06 BST (UK) »
Being back from Hols will start again and may fill in some I have missed

On this day in 1719, William Wise was baptised at Packwood in Warwickshire, sone of Jacob Wise and Mary ? .
William was apprenticed to William Fell of Cubbington, cooper in 1733, thogh his marriage licence referred to him as a yeoman in 1746. He married Ann Warner of Knoll at Hampton in Arden. They had 8 children. William died in about Sept 1803 judging by his will, though burial not located.
(5 x great grandfather)

On this day in 1751, Mary Milton was baptised in New Windsor, Berkshire, daughter of Benjamin Milton and Mary Cross.
Mary married Rev George Boyce of Winkfield at New Windsor in 1773. They had 10 children and Mary died in 1811 and was buried in Winkfield
(4 x great grandmother)
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com