Author Topic: Which Kirk?  (Read 3988 times)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Which Kirk?
« on: Monday 01 July 13 07:06 BST (UK) »
I have a couple married in the Paisley (Renfrew) High Church as per the Scottish O.P.R. Marriages. The husband was baptised at Newton on Ayr, Ayrshire. Would the wife have been baptised at the Paisley High Church, or Paisley Low of Burgh, or even Paisley Middle, all of which are possibilities when I look at the Scotlands People site for about the right time.

The wife’s name is Margaret Barr, and the time period is 1793 to 1794. The reason for this range is that in the 1841 census, she is 46.

Any ideas will be gratefully received.

A Chesters

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which Kirk?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 July 13 08:12 BST (UK) »
Not all baptisms were recorded and not all records survive, so you have to have to have some detail to point you in the right direction. She may have been in the parish at the time of her marriage, but might not have been born there. That is especially true of a town like Paisley which grew much bigger in the 19th century.

Do you have her death certificate? If she lived until 1855 or later there will be statutory death certificate which will name both her parents (the best clue).

Have you found her in the 1851 census? The 1841 census just says whether she was born in the county or not. The 1851 census gives a more "accurate" age and a precise parish of birth.

If you let us know the details (names etc.) you have it will make it easier to help.

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 July 13 08:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information about Paisley, I was not aware of it at all.

The reason for thinking she would have been baptised in Paisley is as mentioned above, she was married there, and the 1841 census gives her as born outside Lanarkshire, where she was living with the husband. Also the eldest daughter, who is the direct ancestor, was also born in Paisley.

I have some indication, still to be followed up fully, that she was in renfrew for the 1851 census.

AC

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 July 13 08:58 BST (UK) »
What was her husband's name and where were they in 1841?

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 04:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your interest.

The husbands name was Adam MacKinlay. In 1841 they were in Glasgow, a part called Eglinton.

I have not yet got a death certificate, as I am not sure just yet as to when she died.

I have a possible census return for her in 1851 in Renfrew, but have as yet to get a transcript. The age on the Family Search record is about correct, 55

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 08:00 BST (UK) »
ac,  Eglinton's in Ayrshire, could be Eglinton Street or Port Eglinton?

Skoosh.

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 08:22 BST (UK) »
Skoosh, thanks for that information. I was totally unaware of Ayrshire.

I think it must have been Eglinton Street, as the census information is simply Eglinton, under the heading of: Name of village, street, square, close Also looking at G****** maps, I tend to think it could have been the street, although the Port is close by.

Thanks for your help

AC

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 08:57 BST (UK) »
Was going to suggest Eglinton Estate in Kilwinning Ayrshire but have noticed on the 1841 that Adam is in the Gorbals district.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 12:25 BST (UK) »
AC,  Port Eglinton was the Glasgow teminus of a canal to Paisley, long gone like the canal. Eglinton Street still in existance.

Skoosh.