Author Topic: Norman - Nottingham  (Read 2158 times)

Offline nicoalanne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Norman - Nottingham
« on: Tuesday 02 July 13 09:18 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the following

John Norman b: January 1933 d:September 2002
Celia Norman b:1929 d:February 2011 married name Middleton
George Norman b:1925 d:2004

They all lived in Nottingham and spent some of their childhood in a childrens' home.

This is the only information I have on them and would like to know more about their history.  I think that their mother and father weren't married, as on the birth records they all come up with the same maiden/surname name....

If anyone can help thank you

Thanks again ???

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: Norman - Nottingham
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 10:57 BST (UK) »
The easiest thing to do is send for their birth certificates, or at least one, it will give you the mothers name.
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp
Mar 1933 John Norman MMS Norman, Nottingham 7b/645
Mar 1929 Celia Norman MMS Norman , Nottingham 7b/630
Dec 1925 George Norman MMS Norman, Nottingham 7b/749

There is also a William M Norman MMS Norman, Nottingham 7b/653. Mar 1927.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 July 13 08:58 BST (UK) »
These births are way too recent to be discussing these people in public here, surely.
Two of those individuals only died within the last few years.
Two of them I see no death for up to 2005.
Two of them (one now deceased) were together on the electoral roll in the early 2000s.
Odds are that at least one of them has living children who are not aware that the birth circumstances of their parent(s) are being discussed in public.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline nicoalanne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 March 16 18:39 GMT (UK) »
One had two children (my husband and his brother).  I know all of them are deceased.  I was wondering about their parents etc...

Thanks for your reply

Nicola

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 March 16 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Nicola, doesn't your husband know his mum's name? It will be on his birth certificate. If he doesn't know it and doesn't have the long form certificate, he should get a copy.

With her name, a search can be done for her birth, whether she married, and her death.
Her birth certificate will give her exact date of birth and her parents' names.
If she married, her marriage certificate will name her father, if she gave his name.
Her death certificate might be signed by a husband or partner, or a child.

She would have been born by 1911, so she could be found in the 1911 census with her family, hopefully, and that would tell you about any brothers and sisters she had.

Also, the 1939 register is now available to be searched on line. If his mother was still living in 1939, she will be on it, and it might show that she was living with a husband or partner. That would also confirm her birthdate, for example.

For info, John is shown in the 1939 register at:
Central Home For Children Hartley Road, Nottingham
I don't see the other children; they would only be shown there if their deaths have been added to their entries since they were under 18 in 1939.

You can put her name here since she is deceased and it is her parents and so on that you are wanting to know about.

Since your husband's father was not named on his birth certificate, there is probably little he can do to learn his identity, if his mother never told him. (You haven't said whether he knew his mother when he was older.) If he was adopted, his adoption file might possibly have information.

There is a possibility that YDNA testing - the DNA that is passed on from father to son to grandson etc. - might find him a match that was close enough to investigate whether the match's surname is a possibility. At this point, so few people in general have done DNA testing that the chance of a match is very low, but it's always something to consider.

Best to start with his mum's info and work on tracing her side of his family.

And also not to wait 2.5 years to acknowledge replies. ;)
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline nicoalanne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply...I only saw this reply yesterday, when someone had replied to another post...

My husband knows nothing of his dads life as a young child only that he spent time in a children's home.  He didn't John was actually his dad until he himself was about 14...

I don't think John ever had further contact with his mum, but did find his brother and sister.

Thanks again

Nicola

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Ah sorry, I had your husband confused with his father, generation-wise.

It's John's birth certificate that you need, as mentioned earlier, to find his mother's name and any other details it gives about her.

The 1939 register does give the name of the home where John was living in 1939, and his birthdate as 29 Jan 1933.

It's possible that one or more of his siblings was also there, but the register may not have been updated when they died. Without proof of death, the info is only available for people born more than 100 years ago.

The children's home at 51 Hartley Rd is listed here:

http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/NottinghamBC/

but unfortunately the link for it does not provide any more info.

If you don't know John's mother's name, you need to get his birth certificate as explained above.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 16:18 GMT (UK) »
The easiest thing to do is send for their birth certificates, or at least one, it will give you the mothers name.
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp
Mar 1933 John Norman MMS Norman, Nottingham 7b/645
Mar 1929 Celia Norman MMS Norman , Nottingham 7b/630
Dec 1925 George Norman MMS Norman, Nottingham 7b/749

There is also a William M Norman MMS Norman, Nottingham 7b/653. Mar 1927.

You do need to send for the birth certificate, as no further searching can take place without the mothers name. It will cost £9.25.
 http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley