Author Topic: Dromore Parish - Jamison Look-Up Request  (Read 6552 times)

Offline gramsearch4family

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Dromore Parish - Jamison Look-Up Request
« on: Tuesday 02 July 13 11:07 BST (UK) »
I am trying to confirm that George Jamison and Elizabeth Kinnier (sp. var.) Jamison are the parents of Elizabeth Jamison Martin (details follow). I know from Elizabeth Jamison Martin Little's (daughter of the just mentioned Elizabeth) obituary that she was born in Dromore 1830. So the birth year and place for George's daughter fits.

George and his family have a gravestone in Holy Trinity, Drumbo and I contacted them for any more information. They suggested I check with PRONI. My search at PRONI didn't give me anything for church records. Perhaps I'm not searching their records correctly. Thanks so much for any advice/assistance!
Beth

1-George Jamison
b: 1779, Northern Ireland
d: 8 January 1861, Belfast, Antrim, Northern Ireland
+Elizabeth Kinnear
b: 1791, Ireland
d: 2 May 1863, Belfast, Antrim, Northern Ireland
        2-Mary Elizabeth Jamison 1
        b: 3 May 1810, Dromore, Down. Northern Ireland
        d: 28 February 1836, Northern Ireland
        +Joseph Martin
        b: about 1810, County Down, Northern Ireland
        d: April 1871, Garrett, Maryland, USA
        2-Jane Jamison
        b: Dromore, Down, Northern Ireland
         +George Elliot Spence 9 Dec 1851, Dromore, Down, Ireland2
        2-George Jamison 1
        b: Dromore, Down, Northern Ireland
(source: familysearch.org 1GS Film number: 0496515 IT 6 and 2GS Film number: 101323 p470 ln90)

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Dromore Parish - Jamison Look-Up Request
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 19:45 BST (UK) »
have you searched for Dromore parish under Jamison on http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/J/Jamison.htm
good luck, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 09:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your message. Yes, I've checked at Ros Davies site, and just checked again. The George Jamison family is listed, but still can't find proof that 'my' Elizabeth is the same as George's daughter. Wondering if an inquiry to Church of Ireland in Dromore might give me any results.

Thanks again!
Beth

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 10:22 BST (UK) »

George and his family have a gravestone in Holy Trinity, Drumbo and I contacted them for any more information. They suggested I check with PRONI. My search at PRONI didn't give me anything for church records. Perhaps I'm not searching their records correctly. Thanks so much for any advice/assistance!
Beth

The church records at PRONI are not on-line. They are on microfilm and you need to go in person (or get someone to do it for you). This is what PRONI hold for Drumbo Church of Ireland:

C.I. Drumbo (Down diocese) Baptisms, 1791-1931; marriages, 1791-1913; burials, 1792-1956; vestry minutes, 1788-1926; registers of vestrymen, 1870 with versions up to 1925; poor books, 1837-82.
Elwyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 16:04 BST (UK) »
thanks so much Elwyn!
best regards,
Beth

Offline Phyllis62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 00:35 BST (UK) »
How sure are you that George Jamison who has a grave in Drumbo is the same George Jamison from Dromore.? A george Jamison married Jane Gibson on 3 Dec  1867 in Banbridge Unitarian Church. His will can be viewed on the PRONI site. His father was also called George. There are Jamison families in the Dromore area and also relations of this family at one time were in the Townland of  Ednego. Dromore area is full of Martins and I have been working for 15 years trying to place them in the correct families. It is almost impossible especially before 1830. George Elliott Spence married Jane Jamison on 19 Dec 1851 in Dromore Church of Ireland. Her father was called George. They had an unnamed female born on 20 Apr 1869 and I am sure many other children.
Dromore Cathedral has a grave for Jamison, Spence and Jess
George Jamison
 died 27 Apr 1855; William John Jamison born 27 Mar 1831 Died 29 Nov 1856; Ann Jamison died 18 Dec 1875; Jane Spence born 13 Mar 1827 died 8 July 1877; Charlotte Emma Spence born 17 Jun 1858 died 31 May 1878. The family burying ground go Hugh Jess.
There are other Jamison families buried in the Presbyterian Churchyards in Dromore.

Hope this is of some help to you.
Martin, McMurray, McCandless, Prenter,  McCrea, all Dromore Co Down area
 Mussen, Houston, Magowan,  Magheralin, Lurgan area
McCrea Holywood Co Down

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 10:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your reply and for your work on the many Martins in County Down.

No I am not sure that the George Jamison I cited is indeed the father of my Elizabeth Jamison. However, the names and dates fit and so far, this family info is the closest match.
Mary Elizabeth Jamison, daughter of George     
b: 3 May 1810, Dromore, Down
d: 28 February 1836, Northern Ireland
Elizabeth Jamison, wife of Joseph Martin, died in 1836 and Joseph remarried Mary Adair shortly after in Dromara. Elizabeth Martin, daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth, was born 1830 in Dromore.

I emailed the COI Cathedral in Dromore and the COI church in Dromara. They were forwarded on to volunteers. So am hoping that I can get some more information soon.

I'd be interested in learning more about your MARTIN research and sharing what I have. My email is gramssearch4family "at" gmail.com.

Thanks again!

Offline martinj123

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 01:21 BST (UK) »
Hi my name is martin jamison and my grandad was born in drmore his name was William john jamison so he mite be one of the ones u ware looking for

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin, thanks for posting! When was your Grandad born and do you know who his parents were? Do you also have MARTINs in your ancestry? Glad to share what I have on my Dromore ancestors.

It would be great if we are long lost cousins!

every good wish,
Beth