Author Topic: Completed My Visit to Cambridgeshire County Record Office - will do simple Look-ups  (Read 27952 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Completed My Visit to Cambridgeshire County Record Office - will do simple Look-ups
« Reply #27 on: Friday 21 October 05 21:55 BST (UK) »
Marlene,
Those FAIREY's are down on the list for next time at Shire Hall as well- but of course if you can find any more details or clues before I go, then let me have them...
Keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Completed My Visit to Cambridgeshire County Record Office - will do simple Look-ups
« Reply #28 on: Friday 21 October 05 23:06 BST (UK) »
David,
I've just re-read your details for those look-ups I'm hoping to do for you next week, and I notice you mention the 3rd son of John and Anne Ford being born in Fenstanton, Hunts.  Do you realise that Fenstanton is now in Cambs, and would you like me to verify that baptism as well at the CCRO?
Keith  (The Del-Rivo Kid - bit of competition for those Kia ora Kids - sorry, it's geting rather late...)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 22 October 05 04:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith
If Cambridge has the Hunts transcripts as well then that would be great, if it's not too much additional work - there were 5 Fords baptised at Fenstanton, details of which I took from the BVRI, but any additional detail would be useful:
Thomas 20 Oct 1764; Ann and Sarah 1 July 1770 - Ann buried possibly 8 Feb 1772; Ann 9 May 1773 possibly buried 10 Aug 1783; James 4 Apr 1779; Thomas buried 9 Dec 1792 which I think may have been the Thomas baptised in 1764, although by then the rest of the family had moved to Papworth St Agnes (the parish register of which I have been through)

Many thanks for the offer

Del Monte
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 22 October 05 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi again, David,
Right, I've got all that.  But it you think I'm going to help you with your Italian (?) Del Monte genealogy, you've got another think coming...I'm up to me eyes already (drowning in 5 feet plus of orange juice) with my Del-Rivo line.  And don't even mention the Kia ora clan.
Keith (I think I'm off for a coffee and croissant now, that's really told him...)

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Found them! Found them! I wish!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 23 October 05 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith

Looks like the info you have given me is all coming together and pointing me in the right direction  :) :)

A huge thank you

Cheers Juddee
Living in the land of Oz<br />Berkshire TASKER<br />Cambridgeshire BLANKS HAYDEN, STEWART<br />Durham GRAY LAVERICK UNTHANK<br />Gloustershire ANDREWS WILLINGTON<br />Hertfordshire HALES HAYDEN<br />Lancashire WHITE HARTNET<br />Oxfordshire EATON TASKER<br />Somerset  DAINTY GERRETT MURRAY SLADE<br />Wiltshire BARTLETT GERRETT<br /> Galway HICKEY LEWIS <br />Germany HARTMANN SCHUEMACHER<br />

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 23 October 05 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Juddee,
Very glad that things are beginning to slot together.  You must excuse the juicy banter going on between David (Bedfordshire Boy) and I - we both really take this family history thing extremely seriously.  In fact, I'm popping up to the CCRO again on Friday, all things being equal, to look up a few details on his FORD family...
Very best wishes,
Keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 29 October 05 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hi again,Marlene,
Went to the CCRO today as promised, and all I've got to do now is interpret my messy notes, so here goes:
I first looked in the 1576-1875 Swavesey Parish transcripts, but the only entries were three marriages in 1722, 1725 and 1748.  So I turned then to the book of 1679-1882 Gt. Catworth Parish transcripts.  There was a baptism on 19-05-1776 for a William FAIRY son of Mary Fairy. (no father given)
There was a long sequence of baptisms to Thomas and Mary FAIRY, starting with a William in 1812, and continuing in 1814, 1815, 1818, 1819, 1822, 1824, 1826, 1827 and 1829!

There was just one BASSET entry, a marriage on 30-04-1748 between Elizabeth BASSET and John SELBEY
Looking at the VOS/VOSS name, there was a marriage on 14-02-1703 between Thomas VOS and Hannah BEULY, which resulted in the following unhappy statistics:
Elizabeth VOS bapt. 24-12-1704 buried 22-02-1710
John VOS bapt. 04-11-1711 buried 17-08-1714
Thomas VOS bapt. 31-10-1714.   
Then, a Thomas VOS buried 31-08-1724 (was this the father?) because: buried 14-03-1731 Hannah VOS widow.

Finally, I looked in the 1608-1967 Ellington Parish transcripts.
Only these baptisms: Sarah FAIREY d. of William and Sarah on 19-08-1761.
15-04-1832: James FAIREY s. of William and Charlotte
30-11-1845: Sarah FAIREY d. of David and Mary

Not a very cohesive bunch of entries, but that was all I could find, I'm afraid...
Keith

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 29 October 05 11:56 BST (UK) »
Whoopsie Daisy Keith now you have really turned my world upside down!
But firstly thank you very much indeed for all your hard work! I'll note all the apparently disjointed bits as I am sure they will all come together one day!
What has completely thrown me is the info from Gt Catworth. The long series of baptisms..!
I have William bap 1812 and then a huge gap to George 1826, Charles 1828, Phoebe 1829, Ann 1835, and Eliza 1837!
To make matters worse I have Thomas married to Sarah Mitchell in 1808 in Bletsoe and their first son was Thomas Mitchell Fairy bap 1810 in Riseley Beds.
Thomas & Sarah are together through the 1841,51,61 censii until Thomas dies in 1866 and Sarah in 1867.

I thought there was something funny about this family having a huge gap between children of about 14 years but thought maybe they moved out of town for a while!

Your sequence is much more logical (apart from the wives names (!)) but I am missing all the actual dates from William (1812) onwards.

I hate to ask you to get them for me because you have already been so very helpful but perhaps you could tell me if I can get a copy of the transcript? And if so where from?
Many many thanks once again
The kia ora kid ....going to get something stronger before midnight!
Marlene

HUNTS: Fairy, Ding, Scotney, Swinton, Burgess, Brace
BEDS: Farey, Fairy,  Young, Rootham, Gell, Wildman, Cooper. Deighton, Flavel.
NORTHANTS: Hills, Mobbs, Twelftrees,
DERBY: Fairey,
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WATFORD HERTS; Burgess, Williams
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,
WORCS: Callow, Lowe

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 29 October 05 12:02 BST (UK) »
Dale,
Being turned upside down is one of the problems with living in NZ, I've been told...!  But, seriously, unearthing new evidence often upsets the applecart.  I've found some of my ancestors quite elusive in the late 18thC and early 19thC, and have turned them up - eventually - in Nonconformist registers, etc.
Take time to digest it all, over that stiff drink you promised yourself...
Keith